Is This Enough??

After a TON of research, I do not want to go through the CFA exams, at least not anytime soon. Risk analysis intrigues me so I am planning on going with the FRM (yes, I know the FRM is hard too, but with just 2 exams given twice a year, its much more realistic). Is the FRM along with a B.S. in Finance enough to become a financial risk manager?

If not, which finance certification (other than the CFA) is the best choice coming out of college?

^ Risk managers/analysts typically have at least masters degrees in mathematics/statistics. Given the average finance undergraduate curriculum I strongly doubt you’ll be ready. On top of the masters degree( alot have Phd) they are very fluent with Programming in c++ and Python. As for the other “certificates” I think there isn’t anything worth doing, google is your friend go and search.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the reply. Let me rephrase… Not become a financial risk manager right away but to get in the field at least?

I highly doubt it. Doing a masters in statistics is your best bet. I know a few risk analysts who don’t even know what FRM is. Can you code ? Have you at least taken linear algebra, probability theory?

No I can’t code…I was under the impression the FRM was pretty highly respected… Am I really gonna have to do the CFA. frown The goal is to not have to go to grad school unless I want to a lot further down the road so I am just looking for the best certification right now and it seems the only real option is the CFA…any one have other thoughts on this? I am pretty set on not going the CFA route even though I’d like to have the charter. The completion rate is just too low and its a mountain I really dont want to climb.

Check out some of the MS Fin Engr programs, they may have a concentration in risk managment.

If you want to become a financial risk manager, then do it. It’s unlikely a lack of a designation will keep you from the industry. You may have to start at a lower level, but there is nothing wrong with that. To be honest, I’m unsure either will help you “break into” the industry – outside of the CPA and bar exam, I’m unsure any designation allows you to break into an industry… If you’re employed, start browsing these positions in your firm and ask around – maybe take a junior or mid-level employee in the section out to lunch or ask for a coffee break. If you’re not in the field, start perusing job listings and check for valuable skills and then learn them.