is this worth a retabulation

wanted to ask the experts out here. Would appreciate your honest opinion. thanks. RK Essay Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% 1 Portfolio Management - Individual 26 - * - 2 Portfolio Management - Individual 9 * - - 3 Portfolio Management - Institutional 24 - * - 4 Portfolio Management - Institutional 11 - - * 5 Economics 19 * - - 6 Portfolio Management - Asset Allocation 10 - - * 7 Equity Investments 17 - - * 8 Alternative Investments 15 - * - 9 Portfolio Management - Risk Management 16 - * - 10 Portfolio Management - Monitor&Rebalance 15 - * - 11 Portfolio Management – Performance Eval. 18 - - * Item Set Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Derivatives 18 * - - - Economics 18 - * - - Equity Investments 36 - - * - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 * - - - Fixed Income Investments 36 - - * - Portfolio Management 18 - * - - Portfolio Management - Individual 18 - - * We have divided the full group of failed candidates into ten approximately equal score bands. Your score band below shows how your overall score on the exam compares with all other failed candidates. For example, if your reported score band is 1, you scored in approximately the bottom 10% of failed candidates. If your reported score band is 2, your score was within the next band width ranging from approximately the bottom 11% to 20% of failed candidates. If your score band is reported as 10, you scored in the top 10% of all failed candidates. Performance band of your overall score among all candidates who failed the exam: 10

your scores seem quite good so if it makes you sleep easier at night i would do it, however, a number of people have failed with decent scores this year so i would not expect a reverse of your score

the ethics score could have been a decider; What is the “ethics adjustment”? The Board of Governors instituted a policy many years ago to place particular emphasis on ethics. Starting with the 1996 exams, the performance on the ethics section became a factor in the pass/fail decision for candidates whose total scores bordered the minimum passing score. The ethics adjustment can have a positive or negative impact on these candidates’ final results.

Should I go for Re-tabulation. Does anyone has cleared in re-tab? any idea. The table below illustrates your subject matter strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each question or topic area. Essay Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% 1 Portfolio Management - Individual 26 * - - 2 Portfolio Management - Individual 9 * - - 3 Portfolio Management - Institutional 24 * - - 4 Portfolio Management - Institutional 11 - - * 5 Economics 19 * - - 6 Portfolio Management - Asset Allocation 10 * - - 7 Equity Investments 17 - * - 8 Alternative Investments 15 - - * 9 Portfolio Management - Risk Management16 - - * 10 Portfolio Management - Monitor&Rebalance15 - * - 11 Portfolio Management – Performance Eval.18 - - * Item Set Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Derivatives 18 - - * - Economics 18 - * - - Equity Investments 36 - - * - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Fixed Income Investments 36 - - * - Portfolio Management 18 - - * - Portfolio Management - Individual18 * - - We have divided the full group of failed candidates into ten approximately equal score bands. Your score band below shows how your overall score on the exam compares with all other failed candidates. For example, if your reported score band is 1, you scored in approximately the bottom 10% of failed candidates. If your reported score band is 2, your score was within the next band width ranging from approximately the bottom 11% to 20% of failed candidates. If your score band is reported as 10, you scored in the top 10% of all failed candidates. Performance band of your overall score among all candidates who failed the exam: 9

thanks guys. I did fill in the retabulation. In my heart I already know that chances of reversing my scores are next to nothing but this will not leave any doubts in my mind. Will post the decision when I am made aware of it. thanks, RK

Has anyone ever pulled a retab off?

I called CFA and they said the last retab to change a score was in 2006. Had the following results. I would not submit retab unless I had >70% Ethics and was in Band 10. Level 3: Fail The table below illustrates your subject matter strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each question or topic area. Essay Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% 1 Portfolio Management - Individual 26 - * - 2 Portfolio Management - Individual 9 * - - 3 Portfolio Management - Institutional 24 - * - 4 Portfolio Management - Institutional 11 - - * 5 Economics 19 - * - 6 Portfolio Management - Asset Allocation 10 - - * 7 Equity Investments 17 - - * 8 Alternative Investments 15 * - - 9 Portfolio Management - Risk Management 16 - - * 10 Portfolio Management - Monitor&Rebalance 15 - * - 11 Portfolio Management – Performance Eval. 18 - - * Item Set Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Derivatives 18 - * - - Economics 18 - - * - Equity Investments 36 - - * - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Fixed Income Investments 36 * - - - Portfolio Management 18 - - * - Portfolio Management - Individual 18 - - * We have divided the full group of failed candidates into ten approximately equal score bands. Your score band below shows how your overall score on the exam compares with all other failed candidates. For example, if your reported score band is 1, you scored in approximately the bottom 10% of failed candidates. If your reported score band is 2, your score was within the next band width ranging from approximately the bottom 11% to 20% of failed candidates. If your score band is reported as 10, you scored in the top 10% of all failed candidates. Performance band of your overall score among all candidates who failed the exam: 10

i also got band 10 and more than 70% on ethics. retabulating…hmmm… i think of “loss aversion”…or maybe “regret minimization”? i would rather spend $100 on new shoes. jk about shoes, maybe on schweser secret sauce.

I think a big reason that the bands were presented with the result back in 2008 was to generate retab revenue from the band 10ers. I am a firm believer that retabing will not change you from a fail to a pass. But, if you decide to do a retab to help you sleep better and you want to double down I will bet my $300 against your $100 that your result is not changed. I’m being 100% serious, e-mail me at BankinAF@gmail.com if you, or anyone else, is interested and we will sort out the details. If anyone with a band of 9 or below wants to try their hand at a retab I’ll bump my $300 to $1000.

you are bankin’ on someone else’s grief, Bankin’…

Because I think retabs are a pointless ploy designed primarily to generate revenue for CFAI, I want all of my Level III brethren to save their money and not do them… but if they’re going to do it anyway and want to double down I’m simply willing to act as a counterparty.

Bankin’ Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think a big reason that the bands were presented > with the result back in 2008 was to generate retab > revenue from the band 10ers. I am a firm believer > that retabing will not change you from a fail to a > pass. > > But, if you decide to do a retab to help you sleep > better and you want to double down I will bet my > $300 against your $100 that your result is not > changed. I’m being 100% serious, e-mail me at > BankinAF@gmail.com if you, or anyone else, is > interested and we will sort out the details. If > anyone with a band of 9 or below wants to try > their hand at a retab I’ll bump my $300 to $1000. Bankin you are too funny… Mind you I was tempted to do the Retab (given I am in band 10) but doubt I will as I agree with you…I rather spend the $100 on the registration fee and ace this mothe next year than take shot in the dark …

N.VanCandidate Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Bankin’ Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I think a big reason that the bands were > presented > > with the result back in 2008 was to generate > retab > > revenue from the band 10ers. I am a firm > believer > > that retabing will not change you from a fail to > a > > pass. > > > > But, if you decide to do a retab to help you > sleep > > better and you want to double down I will bet > my > > $300 against your $100 that your result is not > > changed. I’m being 100% serious, e-mail me at > > BankinAF@gmail.com if you, or anyone else, is > > interested and we will sort out the details. If > > anyone with a band of 9 or below wants to try > > their hand at a retab I’ll bump my $300 to > $1000. > > > Bankin you are too funny… > > Mind you I was tempted to do the Retab (given I am > in band 10) but doubt I will as I agree with > you…I rather spend the $100 on the registration > fee and ace this mothe next year than take shot in > the dark … I fully endorse a $100 down payment on registration as opposed to adding another $100 to CFAI’s Net Income. I’m so sorry that you failed, you were one of the most surprising. Not that it will help, but my sister flunked Level I this year Band 10.

has anyone in the past cleared in re-tab? any idea?

got my retabulation result and nothing changed. $100 wasted. Good luck to all for next year.

AARKAY Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > got my retabulation result and nothing changed. > $100 wasted. Good luck to all for next year. were you suprised?

Do you get your retab by e-maill. my wife submited for retab on L1 three weeks ago and did not get a response yet. Just wondering how they notify you. Thanks

yes they emailed me. I submitted it on the 20th of August got the email today.

It is absolutely worth a retabulation because I will do it for the same fee as CFAI! As for a retabulation by CFAI, I guess it will never sink in that there has never, ever been a change from fail to pass from this route. It’s a total mystery why CFAI even offers this “service.” It is the purest essence of a waste of money.

CFAI only re-counts your answers and will re-run the multiple choice sheet. They will not review your answers in the essays. Therefore, your chances of a succesful retabulation is next to nothing.