It's time...Release the Kraken

^Frank and Nana are two major characters who are gone.

I agree it sucks, no question there. You’ve seen my stance in multiple other threads.

Frank was a weird dude and he left a while ago. He posts on SeekingAlpha all the time now, just not here anymore.

i’m kinda new here and i’m not sure who has dropped off but i vehemently disagree with this passive strategy of waiting for trolls to drop. either give the users a natural mechanism like an up/down vote or start moderating like af is gonna implode

AF is not really about the WC though, just like dinner isn’t about the M&Ms, even if one spends too much time eating them.

That had nothing to do with the trolls here. People get busy or find something better. I’ve been on message boards since I knew how to operate a computer and people come and go. 5 years from now, the top 10 in the AF leader board will contain different names.

^no way s2k leaves

Nana was a short-term poster. Just a flash in (Ja)pan.

Love it

Okay, if clearly being a troll and making duplicate accounts isn’t going to be a bannable offense, GIVE US A GOD DAMN VOTING BUTTON!

None of this mess yesterday would have happened if we could have just downvoted the trolls into oblivion. If the moderators want to keep a fair distance that’s fine (actually I prefer that) but then we have to let the community self regulate to some extent.

Chad has responded to my voting button request twice both times saying he doesn’t see what value it would bring to the site. Yesterday would have been a fairly normal day on AF with some laughs about xray getting downvoted. That’s it. And, on the positive side, good, helpful answers on the CFA boards would get upvoted for visibility.

Honestly, this makes me question Chad’s commitment to AF. Why wouldn’t we want to make good comments more visible and bad ones invisible? Seriously, is this 2006 or something? And if Chad and the moderators think this is only a WC problem, you’re going to have a bad time.

I have advocated for a voting button too. I don’t know why it’s taking so long.

I think having a counter of votes is easy enough, but figuring out how to display them (is it by post, or thread, or forum or person totals, and where does that get displayed etc.).

You say that these guys have made duplicate accounts. Do you have proof of that, or is this just your gut feel that we are supposed to be responding to? Just because a post is annoying doesn’t mean it’s XRAY reincarnated or Revenge of the Blake.

what you did there, i see

wink

Proof? No, only Chad could provide proof. But just looking at the comments, the grammatical errors and unusual syntax…it’s just pretty obvious.

But, you’re right. It’s very hard to prove so banning for that alone would be dicey. Downvoting would work better.

we should have a daily poll. first poll: who do we ban?

People leaving is really just proof that the CFA charter no longer holds any importance due to the claritas certficate :slight_smile:

LOL

I am strictly against voting buttons and will use my political clout on this site to fight such an idea. I don’t want to subcontract the order of the threads on my page to fellow posters, who for the most part can’t tell a good thread from a bad one.

Since when did you become a commie?

And LOL @ the feedback forum quip

It wouldn’t have to work that way. For example, we wouldn’t need to necessarily vote on threads, just comments. For this forum, a star system might work better for threads. The no-fap thread would obviously get five stars in no time, while threads about Indian actors would receive none.

The threads would still be there and get bumped with each new post just like they are now. But, the first post (OP’s post) would be subject to voting just like every subsequent post. If it’s something we don’t like, we downvote that post and after a certain threshold is reached it would be hidden but still viewable by clicking on an expand icon. And, you could still respond to OP too. The benefit would be hiding parent comments from trolls thereby removing their feeding dish. Once they realize their posts get downvoted instantly, and therefore hidden, they’d stop posting. The only way to stop trolling is to stop feeding them.

Let’s face it, most of us (myself especially) don’t have the restraint to refrain from commenting to certain inflamatory posts. Hiding them is the best solution.

And, again, this would have very positive benefits outside the WC. Imagine someone needing advice in the L3 forum. OP asks a question and gets 10 responses. The community should (hopefully) have a good idea which comments are the most helpful and they would get upvoted so OP knows which ones to take seriously.

FYI, shortly after the XRAY nonsense began, he PM’d me:

I never responded to his tomfoolery.