I've been Schweserized

/vent Been riding Schweser pretty hard for the last few months. I’ve read the notes twice, scored 80% on Q-bank (60% completed), and have been hitting up the secret sauce a lot lately. I’ve done book six and averaged somewhere around 78-79% with all of my last 4 in the 80’s. I did do the Q’s at then end of the CFAI readings and found them very useful, other than that, I really haven’t touched the texts. I did the free sample and scored an 80. So tonight I take the CFAI mock I and drop a 68. I was really disappointed. And I was surprised I scored that high. There were a ton of questions where I had no idea. I feel like I’ve been trained to answer schweser questions and am now struggling with CFAI questions, which are the ones that matter. Anybody else feel like this? ps, for the record, I’m not blaming schweser for anything. I think they’re great, but I should have mixed it up a bit more. /vent

Zim says: Yes dude…the actual questions from CFAI come at you in ways/angles that make your brain work differently. I feel like I’m in TRON when I’m doing CFAI shiznit.

my schweser scores have been in the 70’s, my CFAI scores in the 60’s… I only ride schweser. going to try to finish the last CFA mock 2 exam just to get a bit more practice under my belt and then just hope that my schweser-smarts are enough to get by. i’m a poster-child for schweser. besides ethics, i haven’t touched the CFAI books at all.

Your situation sounds like about 20 people I remember from Level 2 last year that passed. I was scoring alot worse than you on the Schweser stuff, didn’t take any of the CFAI mocks and passed rather handily. Just keep pluggin to the end. You will be fine.

Same here, scoring around mid 70s on book 6 then scored mid 60s on 2006 CFAI exam. My jaw dropped too. Maybe cause it’s also computerized so it’s harder to do the question on screen?

dont think 68 is a bad score on the first mock from what i’ve seen. i’ll find out myself on saturday.

I observed this trend in mumu’s score too (100% schweser LONG, selling CDS with no premium), her scores being upper 90’ies in Book-6 and 75% range in CFAI exams. This has started to worry me a lot. Since I am LONG schweser too

I am LONG faith…

i hear you on the schweser (love it, but some drawbacks). but i’d say doing mostly CFA readings has some huge drawbacks as well. sounds like you can pass with only schweser… better to do schweser with a decent amount of cfa too.

put another way. you seem to be implying that your mock score would be higher if you’d done mostly cfa studying. my unqualified opinion is that that’s not true.

i’d do anything for a 68% next saturday

if you hadn’t used schweser there’s no way you’d be through all the material twice w/ a book’s worth of practice exams under your belt. i think you’ll be ok.

The schweser questions are nothing compared to the CFA questions. The CFA questions actually make you think and figure out the way to solve the question. For Schweser it’s mostly plug in the numbers and you’re good to go. The Mock 1 made me realize that I don’t know as much as I thought I did. Now with 8 days left I have to do a full review over the next 3 days and then go for Mock 2. My advice to everyone is… forget everything else… do the Mocks asap so you know where you really stand!

so r u saying samples are much easier than the mocks?

I can’t say definitely that the samples are easier than the mocks, but I know I scored an 80 on the free sample and a 68 on mock I. My point really is that doing all Schweser and then scoring well on Schweser practice exams led me to a false sense of confidence.

I haven’t done mock yet. I’ve tried sample 1 and 2006 exam, the ethics made me suffered. As for sample 1, I wronged 3 for the first 5, I did once want to quit that one when seeing 3 consecutive reds. I think another tricky thing is after getting used to do some calculations before getting the final answer (schweser style), the CFAI sample makes me uneasy in the way that some question is ending too soon: only needs to say increase or decrease or indicate positive or negative… And there’s less confidence for each Q comparing to schweser Q which allows you to see the final answer on you calculator is same with the one in the option till 0.01…

dinesh.sundrani Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I observed this trend in mumu’s score too (100% > schweser LONG, selling CDS with no premium), her > scores being upper 90’ies in Book-6 and 75% range > in CFAI exams. > > This has started to worry me a lot. Since I am > LONG schweser too wow dinesh…i wish those were my scores! more like averaging 80s in schweser and the three samples of CFAI that I took i was bang on average at 70% !! …too close to cutoff… i’m super scared of the exact thing ozzy - gonna take both mocks on sunday/monday hopefully…trying to get as much review done by then so that I take the exam that day like it’s D-day…but I’m sure cfai will kick my a$$$ here’s to hoping some of the sample/mock questions will be on the test!!

“The schweser questions are nothing compared to the CFA questions. The CFA questions actually make you think and figure out the way to solve the question. For Schweser it’s mostly plug in the numbers and you’re good to go.” This was a major problem for a lot of people last year. The CFA questions are very different for a variety of reasons. They are much better worded and, believe it or not, “simpler” but at the same time, they make you think a bit more.