Janus

Heard it’s hard as hell to get in. I guess they truly want min 5 years of experience for their regular analysts. And their junior analyst program is really more for topflight MBAs. Any thoughts? Anyone make it in at Janus? How?

and what about the Private equity Cerberus? how do you get in there? I think networking is the only way…

These firms are closed off. Better to work for a larger institution before switching over.

I was on a flight back from Denver one day and I ended up sitting next to this guy who ran a ranch for Jim Goff (head of research @ Janus). Anyways…I told the guy I was out there for an interview with another buyside shop and he tells me to give him my card and he will pass it on. I was skeptical b/c Goff is a big wheel - but the guy actually called me like three days later and left his cell # on my voicemail. I chat him up once in a while and he responds though we have never met. I’d like to make it to Denver one day…but I need to bang out L3 first. Cambiar and Marsico are also decent shops out there.

jbisback Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I was on a flight back from Denver one day and I > ended up sitting next to this guy who ran a ranch > for Jim Goff (head of research @ Janus). > Anyways…I told the guy I was out there for an > interview with another buyside shop and he tells > me to give him my card and he will pass it on. I > was skeptical b/c Goff is a big wheel - but the > guy actually called me like three days later and > left his cell # on my voicemail. I chat him up > once in a while and he responds though we have > never met. I’d like to make it to Denver one > day…but I need to bang out L3 first. Cambiar and > Marsico are also decent shops out there. This is what is called “networking”…once you get in one of these company…it is done! good luck buddy!

I had a friend that was working for Janus and from what he said they do a lot of hiring internally. If you can start at an entry level and prove yourself you can have a shot at some internships for some of the portfolio managers. If they like you it can go from there with the analyst training. My friend was right out of college and pretty wet behind the ears and that was his take on it. If you’ve already put your time in and have experience his advice may be worthless.

very tough to get in. all mbas dream about it, but they are all wet dreams

daj224 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > very tough to get in. all mbas dream about it, but > they are all wet dreams Isn’t Janus primarily, if not entirely, a mutual fund company? I don’t know any finance MBAs who want to go work for mutual funds as their first choice – it’s all PE / HF / VC / ibanking. I’m not saying there is anything wrong with mutual funds in general or Janus specifically, but I don’t think the statement is accurate.

bromion Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > daj224 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > very tough to get in. all mbas dream about it, > but > > they are all wet dreams > > Isn’t Janus primarily, if not entirely, a mutual > fund company? in my experience, MBAs will take MF jobs. I know 2 that did in my class

I didn’t say they would not take the jobs, I said it was not their wet dream (in general) to work for a MF.

Cool, thanks for all of the responses. Yeah, it always seems to come down to networking. daj224–it’s funny you say that. I certainly dream about it, but I think most MBA’s aren’t as focused on mutual funds. I think it’s all about PE and hedge funds for them. Has anyone here gone through the junior analyst program? Can to shed some insight?

I dont know what they make now…but a few years ago Janus PMs were some of the highest paid PMs on the street (yes…i know they arent actually located on the street-figure of speech). They have had a ton of issues and have lost some key talent lately. I can think of three great PMs they have lost in the past 18 months. I dont know what the culture is like but I know they are on the road ~15 days a month.