Jeb Corliss

Ummm, we’ve all seen the wing suite flying videos I’m sure, and as an extreme sports guy, I consider myself pretty hard to impress but watch the full video of Jeb Corliss called “Jeb Corliss Grinding the Crack” set to Awolnation. Ummm, especially the part at 1:40… Kinda left me just completely speechless. http://vimeo.com/28544156

I think I just piss ma pants

I was a little skeptical about “grinding the crack” coupled with “exteme sports” but that was a good video.

That is literally down the road from me - 45 minutes. I go boarding there. Not sure I am going to give that a go though…

Dude_CFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > That is literally down the road from me - 45 > minutes. I go boarding there. Not sure I am going > to give that a go though… You live in Switzerland?

awesome video

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Dude_CFA Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > That is literally down the road from me - 45 > > minutes. I go boarding there. Not sure I am > going > > to give that a go though… > > > You live in Switzerland? Correct

Must be nice, how do you like it?

Swan do you skydive? I do and would like to get into downhill mountain biking.

People who skydive must have balls of steel and leak-proof bladders. I don’t think I can ever get myself to do that and I even have hairy balls…

That was sick. Not ZB’s hairy ball’s comment.

johnnyBuz Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Swan do you skydive? I do and would like to get > into downhill mountain biking. Not yet, I’ve kinda always thought of base jumping as something to do in my 30’s when I have more $$ and am not as involved in whitewater / ultra running / back country skiing. I feel like the next year or two I’m just really over scheduled. Downhill biking’s fun, the wipe out’s are pretty severe though.

$hit ! was that for real? !!

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Must be nice, how do you like it? Love it. Been here on and off for almost 10 years. You been over?

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > johnnyBuz Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Swan do you skydive? I do and would like to get > > into downhill mountain biking. > > > Not yet, I’ve kinda always thought of base jumping > as something to do in my 30’s when I have more $$ > and am not as involved in whitewater / ultra > running / back country skiing. I feel like the > next year or two I’m just really over scheduled. > Downhill biking’s fun, the wipe out’s are pretty > severe though. BASE jumping is exponentially more dangerous then skydiving. They don’t even allow you to base jump until you have a minimum of 200+ skydives and most people recommend more. The majority of fatalities are by inexperienced jumpers that cannot control their canopy properly in a jam or don’t give themselves addequate time for the pilot chute to open. For as big of balls as I think I have, I am still on the fence about getting into base jumping. You pretty much have to be ready to die any time you jump and I’m not quite there at this point in my life. How much $$$ do you need to make whitewater a hobby?

johnnyBuz Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Black Swan Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > johnnyBuz Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > Swan do you skydive? I do and would like to > get > > > into downhill mountain biking. > > > > > > Not yet, I’ve kinda always thought of base > jumping > > as something to do in my 30’s when I have more > $$ > > and am not as involved in whitewater / ultra > > running / back country skiing. I feel like the > > next year or two I’m just really over scheduled. > > > Downhill biking’s fun, the wipe out’s are > pretty > > severe though. > > > BASE jumping is exponentially more dangerous then > skydiving. They don’t even allow you to base jump > until you have a minimum of 200+ skydives and most > people recommend more. > > The majority of fatalities are by inexperienced > jumpers that cannot control their canopy properly > in a jam or don’t give themselves addequate time > for the pilot chute to open. > > For as big of balls as I think I have, I am still > on the fence about getting into base jumping. You > pretty much have to be ready to die any time you > jump and I’m not quite there at this point in my > life. > > How much $$$ do you need to make whitewater a > hobby? I know all this. First off, there’s no “rule” about how many jumps you need, but I’ll take the necessary steps / precautions when I get to that point. I do a lot of adventure sports and with kayaking I’ve been known to push the limit of what will likely kill you. It just comes down to personal philosophy. Well, for gear, I’d say 1000-1200 for a really good kayak, helmets are like 80, life vest is like 150, paddle is like 200, skirt is like 150. So that’s like 1,680 for all the basics if you’re buying quality gear. You can probably do it for half that if you’re on a budget. Also, keep in mind, you’re gonna want a car with a roof rack. The other major expense would be lessons. If you don’t know anybody that does whitewater, you’re gonna want to take lessons, which can be like 150-180 a day. The best thing is to take the lessons before you buy gear, maybe 3-5 lessons should be enough to get the basics, learn a roll, etc. Because whitewater kayaking’s not for everyone and lessons are the best way to see before you buy the gear. Most people wash out fairly quickly, they find being trapped in a kayak upside down going down rapids can be weird. Also, if you learn on rockier rapids, you’ll be surprised how brutal the rocks are on your head / helmet.

Dude_CFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Black Swan Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Must be nice, how do you like it? > > > Love it. Been here on and off for almost 10 years. > You been over? Never been, wanna go tho.

I jumped out of a plane once. It was pretty cool. We had to make a decision between a static line jump, where you jump out of the plane on your own but get no free fall (no more than a few seconds anyway), or a tandem jump where you have an experienced diver on your back and get free fall. The group of guys I was going with wanted to see who would jump out of a plan on there own so we choose a static line jump. Let me tell you, walking out onto the wing and getting in a superman position on the wing strut at 90mph is not a natural thing. You want to do it, but your brain is saying “hey, idiot why don’t you get back in the plane?”. It was shocking how chaotic the jump was with all the noise and adrenaline, but as the chute popped and the plan flew away it got very quiet. You could see for miles and miles. I will never forget it. They talk you down with a speaker in your helmet, helping to guide you. I was lucky to stick the landing, but I had a friend who didn’t hear them say “full flare” which is what basically scrubs all your speed. He just kept waiting for it and it never came. At the last second he just lifted his legs up and crushed the ground with his ass in like a pike position. He had to be doing about 15mph. All the ground crew went running out to him thinking he was hurting, but he was just laughing hysterically. I would love to go again and get some free fall.

mwvt9 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I jumped out of a plane once. It was pretty cool. > > > We had to make a decision between a static line > jump, where you jump out of the plane on your own > but get no free fall (no more than a few seconds > anyway), or a tandem jump where you have an > experienced diver on your back and get free fall. > The group of guys I was going with wanted to see > who would jump out of a plan on there own so we > choose a static line jump. > > Let me tell you, walking out onto the wing and > getting in a superman position on the wing strut > at 90mph is not a natural thing. You want to do > it, but your brain is saying “hey, idiot why don’t > you get back in the plane?”. > > It was shocking how chaotic the jump was with all > the noise and adrenaline, but as the chute popped > and the plan flew away it got very quiet. You > could see for miles and miles. I will never > forget it. > > They talk you down with a speaker in your helmet, > helping to guide you. I was lucky to stick the > landing, but I had a friend who didn’t hear them > say “full flare” which is what basically scrubs > all your speed. He just kept waiting for it and > it never came. At the last second he just lifted > his legs up and crushed the ground with his ass in > like a pike position. He had to be doing about > 15mph. All the ground crew went running out to > him thinking he was hurting, but he was just > laughing hysterically. > > I would love to go again and get some free fall. Jumped once too, they let me jump solo, but I had to take like 5 hours of instruction first. Personally I didn’t really think it was scary. The only weird part was I went first because I was a student and I stepped up to the door which was right in front of the little wing that sticks out sideways from the rear, I mean like 10 feet in front. I remember being like “I am definitely going directly into that wing” and looking back and forth between my instructor and the wing quick before stepping out. I remember it being really really noisy, then really really quiet after the chute pulled. When I was in Mexico, I went bungie jumping from 160 ft up like 10 times or so. The first time I was hanging out with the guy who runs the tower up on top for about 10 minutes just shooting the sh*t cause it was slow season in Aculpoco. So there was a 20 ft deep pool at the bottom and they had three lines at different lengths depending on your weight. If you were in between two ropes weight wise, you could choose the shorter rope for heavier people or the longer one for the lighter group and that would dip you in the pool. So I wasn’t between the two weight groups, but I talked the guy into letting me get dipped in the water, so he says “si” and changes the #'s on the dry erase board, then eyeballs the rope and ties it off at a new length using scientific guesstimation. I remember being like “what did I just do”. But the dude nailed it, went waist deep in the water. Personally I found bungie jumping far more scary because the depth perception seems much more real, whereas skydiving it was just so high it didn’t really register.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Personally I found bungie jumping far more scary because the depth perception seems much more real, whereas skydiving it was just so high it didn’t really register. Completely agree. I’m terrified of heights and have been skydiving twice with no issue (it’s a blast). Separately I repelled a 300ft cliff and have never been more scared in my life for the exact reason you mention.