Job description

So I am being considered for a role that says: This role will be focused on thought leadership, research, idea development, whitepapers, etc in support of several lines of business. What do you make of this description. Do you think this is interesting work? Do you think this sort of work has upward mobility?

Sounds like a business development/product management/relationship management job. It’s not exactly front office and probably won’t lead you to a PM or analyst job but i’ve seen these jobs pay relatively well.

I agree BiPolar. The pay is good but there are no tangible descriptions of the kind of work involved. What if I run out of new ideas? So i thought i’d get some opinions.

Sounds lke its working with pirates, and coming up with new inventive ways for them to hijack tankers. Good luck with it idiot

maddane Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Sounds lke its working with pirates, and coming up > with new inventive ways for them to hijack > tankers. > > Good luck with it idiot I already know that but the question is what if i run out of new ideas? idiot? thats original!

yep about as original as your constant pirate jokes

harrrrrrrrrrrrr

BiPolarBoyBoston Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Sounds like a business development/product > management/relationship management job. It’s not > exactly front office and probably won’t lead you > to a PM or analyst job but i’ve seen these jobs > pay relatively well. What do you mean not front office, he’s going to be generating alpha (actually creating brand new ideas for alpha in this case) —> Front office all the way.

mo34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > BiPolarBoyBoston Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Sounds like a business development/product > > management/relationship management job. It’s > not > > exactly front office and probably won’t lead > you > > to a PM or analyst job but i’ve seen these jobs > > pay relatively well. > > > What do you mean not front office, he’s going to > be generating alpha (actually creating brand new > ideas for alpha in this case) —> Front office > all the way. Why would he be writing white papers to send to PMs or research people? I’m 80% confident its a business development job. I never worked in product development but I have worked with product managers. They analyze products in the market place, see how competitive their specific product is, write up monthly/quarterly views, go to meetings and pitch clients and prospective clients. On the lower level they’ll work on writing up RFPs, send information to clients, handling request with custodian, etc. At although at the end of the day its not a bad job. Needhelp, you’ll prob sit in the daily PM/research meetings. You’ll have their insight into the markets, whats working, whats not, and their research/portfolio management philosophy. The head marking person probably tells you what to write and its usually the same thing… quarterly letters, monthly portfolio updates, special topics etc.

I did this job before. It is a support role for sales. You will have a lot of independence. Don’t worry about running out of new ideas. Ideas come from context, they don’t come out of a void. Look at the past year. Any ideas? Exactly. Add on top of what goes out in the market with what your sales guys are looking at in their markets and the products that your company sells and there really is no end of ideas. Rather, it will be about narrowing them down and making your soft selling sound like research (isn’t it all in finance). Take any facet of most conversations on the forum here and there is a deeper line of questioning: The IB model broken, what to replace it with? Oh, something that your company/hedge fund does. Who will provide the new source of financing? Your guys. What product structures will best protect investors from drawdowns & liquidity withdrawals that we have seen, oh the guaranteed products (non Lehman) with better liquidity terms. Etc etc ad infinitum. Good luck

Forgot to add - Plus you could get your name out ‘there’ in whatever form of press (FT/Economist/Journal of this that or the other) which is quite gratifying if your ego needs stroking. I prefer to ghost write for a big wig though. Also you may well turn out to be the speaking head for your company. Yes, that is you on the TV saying something semi intelligent. Now that will please your mum/girlfriend/boyfriend* *delete as applicable

thanks for your input guys. i am still undecided about this development. they want me to talk to some people who are in ‘advisor relations’, ‘marketing research’, ‘investment solutions’ etc. this sounds like a marketing, sales-support kind of job. i am very technically oriented, and do not own the skills or the motivation to make sales calls. any insight is appreciated.