Job Interview Monday

OK, here’s the scoop. I have an interview Monday locally with an HR recruiter for a job overseas. My background is Level III candidate, graduated last Oct from undergrad, and working since Feb as hedge fund accountant. I’m gonna pick up one of our copies of Alpha from work and skim it this weekend, any other advice for preparing for/executing in my interview? I’d really love to get this job! Here’s the job description: Thanks as always guys and gals Our client, a large UK based financial institution, is looking to expand their London, England operations and is seeking suitable candidates to fill the role of Hedge Fund Analyst. The focus of the role is idea generation, research, and report writing for hedge fund trading strategies including risk arbitrage, merger arbitrage, spin-offs, divestitures, recapitalizations, reorganizations and other event-driven situations. In addition, the candidate will be focused on holding company trades, pairs trades and other long/short trading strategies. The ideal candidate will be a graduate in finance or a Chartered Accountant. Candidates should be mathematically inclined, have good excel and computer skills and have the ability to maintain databases on trade ideas. Previous work experience is not required, however, corporate finance or previous M&A experience would be a plus. Completion of the Canadian Securities Course would also be considered an asset. This is an opportunity to work in an extremely fast paced and high energy environment. Suitable candidates should be self starters, confident, and looking for a career in one of the most challenging and rewarding industries. Opportunities to repatriate to Canada could be available to successful candidates. Salary will be highly competitive and commensurate with background and experience.

Joey???

Congrats on the Interview. Remember that London is even more expensive a city to live in than NYC, so even if the recruiter drops a figure like £40-45K a year ($80K-$90K CDN), expenses are high. I find this posting kind of ackward though, as they prefer a candidate who completed the CSC but at the same time, this designation is worth almost zero, while they mention how hard the work will be. Don’t you think ?

not sure what to think to be honest. I’m pulling a little less half of that here now with zero long term opps. More than half of my expenses now are paying debt (some good, some bad and some ugly)so obviously they won’t change. Still I realize that it will be very expensive Agreed, it is weird. why would the CSC matter in the UK

I would have expected them to require a CA, as Canada’s and UK’s accounting designation are pretty similar if I remember correctly.

yes, this is true. but what the hell in the job des indicates anything really accounting based is what I’m wondering. I see lots of valuation stuff in the des, but nothing overly accounting based. I guess I’ll find out tommorow, thanks for the feedback Alayle

sounds like a good job no doubt. good luck. i think having doen the CAIA in this case would be ok.

You won’t get much out of the last issue of “alpha”.

Halifax, I too am looking into the UK (from Canada). You mind sharing which agency you went through?

Sounds like an interesting opportunity, I would sure jump on it if I was just starting off my career. I think in all of Europe (also in Canada but I think not so much) they really like accounting backgrounds for finance work.

Halifax, Good luck with the interview from one of your peers at John Harris’ Boston workshop!

HoldSideAnalyst Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You won’t get much out of the last issue of > “alpha”. tell me about it!

I used to think to myself what the CDN - US translation would be when I read Canadian salaries…sadly that is no longer the case.

Did you get it?

CFA_Halifax Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > OK, here’s the scoop. I have an interview Monday > locally with an HR recruiter for a job overseas. > My background is Level III candidate, graduated > last Oct from undergrad, and working since Feb as > hedge fund accountant. > > I’m gonna pick up one of our copies of Alpha from > work and skim it this weekend, any other advice > for preparing for/executing in my interview? I’d > really love to get this job! > > Here’s the job description: > > Thanks as always guys and gals > > > > > Our client, a large UK based financial > institution, is looking to expand their London, > England operations and is seeking suitable > candidates to fill the role of Hedge Fund > Analyst. > > The focus of the role is idea generation, > research, and report writing for hedge fund > trading strategies including risk arbitrage, > merger arbitrage, spin-offs, divestitures, > recapitalizations, reorganizations and other > event-driven situations. In addition, the > candidate will be focused on holding company > trades, pairs trades and other long/short trading > strategies. > > The ideal candidate will be a graduate in finance > or a Chartered Accountant. Candidates should be > mathematically inclined, have good excel and > computer skills and have the ability to maintain > databases on trade ideas. Previous work > experience is not required, however, corporate > finance or previous M&A experience would be a > plus. Completion of the Canadian Securities > Course would also be considered an asset. > > This is an opportunity to work in an extremely > fast paced and high energy environment. Suitable > candidates should be self starters, confident, and > looking for a career in one of the most > challenging and rewarding industries. > Opportunities to repatriate to Canada could be > available to successful candidates. Salary will > be highly competitive and commensurate with > background and experience. Hi CFA Halifax, I have also been called for the same interview. Do you mind sharing how yours went? Any insights on how I could prepare for it or/and what exactly they are looking for?

^ | you want him to give someone that he does not know, who is going for the same job as him, a leg up in the interview process?! have you been drinking?

I have.

nice, me too. *cheers*

jeff_s Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^ > | > you want him to give someone that he does not > know, who is going for the same job as him, a leg > up in the interview process?! have you been > drinking? LOL!