Job Market in San Francisco

How is the job market in San Fran? I just came back from a vacation in San Fran and I loved it. I would gladly move there. From what I hear they are the financial centre of the west coast…any comments and/or thoughts on where to start looking for a job there? Thank

BGI (Barclays Global Investors). They’re huge out there and they’re hiring like nuts.

I’d say that for asset management, LA is the West Coast (PIMCO, WAMCO, TCW). For I-banking, Silicon Valley is the hub…San Fran is more of a commercial banking down…

There are plenty of equity research and buy side jobs in San Fran

skillionaire Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > BGI (Barclays Global Investors). They’re huge out > there and they’re hiring like nuts. For what though, BO?

“For what though, BO?” Not sure if this was a serious question or designed to be pithy, but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt. Data Analyst (Fixed Income), Trading Research Analyst, and Research Analyst are the three most recent positions I’ve seen them advertising for.

no, it was a serious question. I know next to nothing about SF or its job market. Thanks for the info skillion. Anyone know any recruiters there?

they are three hrs behind ny…markets open at 6.30 am. how do people handle that?

My colleagues who work out on the West Coast in equities generally are in the office by around 5AM. It’s rough. I spent some brief stints of time working on the West Coast too, and the whole notion of going to bed by 10PM and waking up at 4AM was something I never got used to.

I’m looking for buyside research jobs in SF too. It seems pretty decent, there are quite a few big mutual funds and tons of smaller L/S hedge funds. Barclays is definitely a good shop but their research is all quant. If you don’t have a quant background, there are some good roles, but they’re not in research.

Halifax, don’t know any recruiters out there but have a look at Barclays website - I just took a cursory glance and it seems pretty legit.

I was once equity trader in SF. I got to the office around 5: 30. It is early, but you can finish early, too and you do not have to worry about morning/evening rush. As to recruiter, I have contacted by this firm a few times regarding Bay Area positions, though this recruiting firm is located in Chicago: Brokerage Consultants Inc. http://www.bcius.com

BGI is a great shop, huge asset base, but typically hire very quantitative people - the several individuals I know that worked for them were finance phd’s or mfe’s. Sure there are other jobs but a lot of the front office is very quant oriented around indexing. They’re mainly about indexing, I believe one of the largest if not the largest etf provider w/ ishares and also have some hf type products, but again, very quant-oriented. Waking up at 5am in California doesn’t sound horrible relative to this mornings tempature at 8am in NYC…

zigy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I was once equity trader in SF. I got to the > office around 5: 30. It is early, but you can > finish early, too and you do not have to worry > about morning/evening rush. > > As to recruiter, I have contacted by this firm a > few times regarding Bay Area positions, though > this recruiting firm is located in Chicago: > > Brokerage Consultants Inc. > http://www.bcius.com many thanks!

No problemo at all.

naturallight Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m looking for buyside research jobs in SF too. > It seems pretty decent, there are quite a few big > mutual funds and tons of smaller L/S hedge funds. > Are u sure there’s a lot of L/S hedge funds in San Francisco? I gone to quite a few conferences and I rarely seen many hedge funds in that Area. I know one guy at Farallon (large) and that’s about it.