job market thoughts

D’Artagnan - Which bank are you considering in Singapore?

Hi pimp SocGen Corporate and Investment Banking the duties are clearly BO and the pay is €2000, also with the expriat taxation from French gov (I’m french btw) it will get to €1600 net I also had an interview from Alstom (train/power plant ect) for an internal audit role in singapor… my management accounting degree is following me :frowning: (better pay cause I got more experience)

Separately, the New York Post reported in its Friday editions that Goldman is planning to cut up to 15% of the workforce in its capital markets and related support units.

You are packing your bags and going overseas for a BO role?

CFAdummy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Separately, the New York Post reported in its > Friday editions that Goldman is planning to cut up > to 15% of the workforce in its capital markets and > related support units. I think post is full of cr*p as i havent seen these news anywhere else

Hi pimp, I’m in Singapore too. What re you working as?

I’m in Research at a BB firm in NYC. Looking for a change of scenery, but the Singapore job market has slowed down quite a bit, so I might wait to finish L3 and then resume looking.

It’s from here. It’s not rubbish http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aTARUhP3w5xE&refer=home The following table shows jobs eliminated by the biggest banks and securities firms since the collapse of the subprime mortgage market in July 2007. The figures are based on company disclosures. Firm Positions Cut Citigroup 6,200 Lehman Brothers 4,990 Bank of America 3,650 Morgan Stanley 2,940 Washington Mutual 2,600 Merrill Lynch 2,220 HSBC 1,650 Bear Stearns 1,550 WestLB 1,530 UBS 1,500 Goldman Sachs 1,500* National City 900 Credit Suisse 820 Royal Bank of Canada 500 Fortis 500 Wells Fargo 500 Wachovia 443 Deutsche Bank 370 JPMorgan Chase 100 _____ TOTAL 34,463

I guess all the IT folks who are looking to get into finance are going to be rethinking their decisions.

They won’t get in any time soon anyway.

Firms are taking the fullest advantage of this oversupply of talent. We are hiring a new person in June. She has two masters, graduated from the top program in China, with relevant work experience. Sadly, all of that creditial is only going to give her a year start.

looks like i left the sell-side at just the right time…whew