Job Market

Any1 thinks this is going to get worse or is this the beginning of the end? I get done with my MS in 3 months and I have not 1 single call back yet. I don’t know how many applications I have been applying to every single day. This is so damn depressing…

Do u think maybe I just try and concentrate on getting any other certification while this mess is underway? What do u guys think best compliments the CFA??? CPA, CAIA, CFP…etc…ur thots will be appreicated…

You need to do more networking. It is the only thing that can land you a job. If you can switch to another industry, try it.

sparty, where do u live ? I’m guessing it’s the US ? What do you mean by “do some networking” ? A network is not something you can create overnight. Years may pass before reaping some benefits.

Well, there is no quick fix anyway. If you get lucky, networking can take effect very quickly.

I am in the US yes…but unfortunately, I am here on a student visa…which obviosly ialready screwing me over becuz most companies are not sponsoring…plus…the economy, according to most ppl I speak with say is the worst they have seen…and I thot that with my BA,MS and level 2 done, I should not worry too much…but I guess I am wrong… I am planning to get out of the US temporarily, work outside, most probably the middle east and then come back to the US after 4-5 years for my MBA and hopefully when the economy is muhc better. Any1 thinks this plan makes sense?

Sure. I would do the same.

Getting out of here looks like a good idea. Back home, you will have a better network too.

sparty, Middle-east economy is booming - you will have good opportunities especially if it is your home country… may i know which country?

i have about 20 friends who works in bank / i bank… 4 of them going jobless in 2 weeks

I just got a job as a financial analyst here in Tampa. I used indeed.com, got a callback within a week.

Sparty, sorry to hear about your situation. Have you considered Canada? I think your plan to pursue other countries makes a lot of sense. Maybe by the time you are ready to come back to US< you realize that its not longer the attractive economy it once was. I think there are good opportunities else where as well. Good luck!

I agree, US will no longer be have the economy of the past…rather it will be a distant shadow and continue to remain so for a long time.

needhelp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Sparty, sorry to hear about your situation. Have > you considered Canada? Not a good idea.

delero Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > needhelp Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Sparty, sorry to hear about your situation. > Have > > you considered Canada? > > > Not a good idea. Its a better idea for someone with a visa situation.

He will have better job offers in the Middle East.

It’s a tough market now, but my friends in Europe tell me the job market is even less fluid there, especially in London. Some people have come to me asking for job search advice and I don’t even know where to start. Part of it is because I’ve been out of the job hunting process for about a year now so I’m sort of insulated from things. Hard to imagine exactly how stiff the market is, aside from what I keep reading in the newspapers and from you guys.

Hi thanks a lot for the inputs guys…Yea…I am very seriosly considering middle-east now…UAE and Bahrain to be more specific…I have some family as well as some friends there…so I think I am going to have to start flooding them with my resume… Sumz…I am from India…is that going to affect my chances for job opportunities ? ( Becuz I keep hearing if you have an american education…and in the cfa program…u have very good chance…yada yada…is this true?) Needhelp: how exactly is canada a better option? very curious… Thanks again…

As for Canada (I am currently there at them moment) it could be pretty hard to get a work Visa here if you did not do your Grad degree here. I am an Australian and the first thing that any employer that I have talked to asks is are you legally allowed to work in Canada? There are several ways to get a Canadian work visa 1. Have done your study here 2. Get a visa to immigrate (can take upto 5 years) 3. Get a temporary work visa (have to be sponsored, which means the company has to do a bit of work etc… If you don’t have a visa already to work in Canada it is hard to get past the front door. There are a few places that have been more interested in taking people who come from abroad. TD bank being one of them - that said that was a couple of weeks ago, before the most of the current situation. Hope it helps.

sparty419 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hi thanks a lot for the inputs guys…Yea…I am > very seriosly considering middle-east now…UAE > and Bahrain to be more specific…I have some > family as well as some friends there…so I think I > am going to have to start flooding them with my > resume… > > Sumz…I am from India…is that going to affect > my chances for job opportunities ? ( Becuz I keep > hearing if you have an american education…and in > the cfa program…u have very good chance…yada > yada…is this true?) > > Needhelp: how exactly is canada a better option? > very curious… > > Thanks again… Dude i meant from visa point of view if you absolutely positively want to stay in North america. you could go to canada if you meet their points system. you would stay close to US and could eventually come back. i could be totally off course here.