Job Offer & Bonus

Just got an offer for an analyst position. I am pretty excited. However, I just got word about an hour later that bonuses are being handed out 1 week later after my start date… Would it be a bad idea to call back and ask if we can push this back slightly? It’d be nice but certainly don’t want to push things. Thanks.

Just ask them if you can start a week later. It’s not like they’re going to drop you for asking.

You need to figure out the timing. Are you giving 2 week notice? Would you get your bonus after given notice? Assuming you do get your bonus if you are working on, let’s say your last day, it would not be difficult to explain to your new employer. However, make sure to figure it out way in advance. You do not want the new employer to plan your training and have to reschedule. Congrats

AlexP Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You need to figure out the timing. Are you giving > 2 week notice? Would you get your bonus after > given notice? > > Assuming you do get your bonus if you are working > on, let’s say your last day, it would not be > difficult to explain to your new employer. > However, make sure to figure it out way in > advance. You do not want the new employer to plan > your training and have to reschedule. > > Congrats Thanks Alex, just thought about this and asked a superior. They said if I gave a two week notice before my bonus is paid, the bonus is disregarded. =( owell…

Can you ask your new company to match the bonus as part of your salary negotiation?

HOw big is the Bonus! if we are talking a few hundred bucks i say eff it!! But if a rather substancial amount is involved lol you gat to nick that cash first them move to a new job!!

ebouist Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > HOw big is the Bonus! if we are talking a few > hundred bucks According to FrankArabia, this doesn’t exist.

ebouist Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- But if a rather > substancial amount is involved According to SMIRK this doesn’t regularly exist. And I tend to agree.

Depends on what your job is. My bonus is typically more than my base. If I were to quit my job right before bonus time, more than half of my year’s work will disappear. For research, I’d imagine that the allocation is not this extreme though.

that was my initial thought too Czar and Smirk but you know them traders make plenty on bonuses ala HelloMisterWalrus up there the bonuses could get crazy at times … in which case … get the damn bonus first a new job can surely wait a month if need be!!

i think the new shop would be more than understanding, do you know when the bonus will be paid yet?

Congrats!

I think your new employer will understand. Naturally, you can add “if you really need me sooner, you could buy out my bonus for me.”

I’d ask your employer if you can move back 3 weeks or whatever. Somebody higher up the ladder than me can say whether it makes sense to tell them why, but at my pay grade I think I’d be honest with them and let them know about the bonus you earned previously that would be forefeited if things proceeds as planned.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think your new employer will understand. > Naturally, you can add “if you really need me > sooner, you could buy out my bonus for me.” In this industry I would think that everyone understands how things work. If they can’t wait week and not buy you out you should be a little worried about what you are getting into. Congrats…

This situation happened to me in 07. I told the new company what my bonus would be at the old company and they added it to my signing bonus.

CFABLACKBELT Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > AlexP Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > You need to figure out the timing. Are you > giving > > 2 week notice? Would you get your bonus after > > given notice? > > > > Assuming you do get your bonus if you are > working > > on, let’s say your last day, it would not be > > difficult to explain to your new employer. > > However, make sure to figure it out way in > > advance. You do not want the new employer to > plan > > your training and have to reschedule. > > > > Congrats > > Thanks Alex, just thought about this and asked a > superior. They said if I gave a two week notice > before my bonus is paid, the bonus is disregarded. > > > =( owell… How did you ask this question without arousing suspicion? It’s not exactly something you just bring up at the water cooler is it?