Job prospects in Edmonton Alberta?

I know the hubub for Alberta jobs is mostly in Calgary but anybody have experience finding a job in Edmonton? The Edmonton CFA site only has job postings in Calgary, and the search I did on monster and workopolis provided very few positive results. Any word?

hmm i would interested in knowing too. I’m from Edmonton as well and thinking that i have to move to Calgary very soon. I think the main and probably only real job is with AIMco in edmonton. I met some other CFA candidates already in the industry, and some traders. but very few. So there are some, but not much. Janet, if you find anything could you let me know? I’m hating the prospect of having to move to Calgary more and more. :P.

ATB. Willy

AIMco is going through some restructuring currently and should be hiring a lot more in the near future from what I hear from a friend that worked there.

from what i hear the edmonton job market is hot

It depends what you are looking for I’d say. Like a lot of people, I went to school in Edmonton but accepted a job in Calgary. Both markets are still very healthy although they have cooled down in the last year. There are much fewer corporate positions in Edmonton compared with Calgary. This is especially true for oil and gas and investment banking/equity research. The Edmonton market is healthy for accountants or traditional banking jobs (the retail branches or corporate offices). I would say move to Calgary, its the best move I’ve ever made. I still refuse to cheer for the Flames however.

Check out member directory in Edmonton you will find the employers for CFA candidates/charter holders. AIMco is the biggest employer for CFAs as far as I know. Other small shops (Chartered banks, Corporates, ATB, Global wealth builders, Gold investment management etc.) hire for CFAs too but not many. It’s a dilemma for me to go to Calgary as well coz my spouse doesn’t like Calgary much.

Disciple do you know how much AIMco pay for an analyst and manager position respectively? disciple Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > AIMco is going through some restructuring > currently and should be hiring a lot more in the > near future from what I hear from a friend that > worked there.

wow, i never realized there were so many Edmonton people here. I think cfa1jz covered all the places i have found or heard of to date. heres the link to the Edmonton CFA society site that shows who employs CFA. http://www.edmontoncfa.ca/memberservices/default.aspx AIMco use to be part of Alberta Finance, but not anymore.

Thanks for all the pointers guys! I’m currently based in Vancouver but I might move out East if certain things come together. Thanks for all the advice though.