Jobs for CFA L3 Candidate

All, I an Engineer and hoping to switching to finance. I had appeared for CFA L3 this time in June and hopefully should pass out. Now comes the tougher part of finding a JOB in Finance in this market. With a considerable effort and a huge pay cut I could probably get a corporate finance job but I am more interested in getting into Equity Research, Derivates, Fixed Income Trading, etc kind of interesting jobs. I have no idea how to approach and am looking for a mentor/friend who can give me some pointers on how to go about this herculean task. BTW I have a 750 + GMAT score and good at math modeling. For the starters I would like to know I am shooting for something too much. Please send me your suggestions. They are invaluable to me. Thanks.

If you really have a 750+ gmat score, go to top 10 b school. Making a transition into finance now is going to be near impossible considering all the experienced people out there who are as smart or smarter than you. It’s good you realize this is going to be extremely difficult but be ready to get hazed on this site.

this isn’t a bad year to fail the exam actually - the job market is going to be in the dumps until next year anyways. i am looking to make a transition too but just feel lucky to have a decent income right now

“I had appeared for CFA L3 this time in June and hopefully should pass out.” That’s how I pretty much plan to react when I get my score too…

Smarshy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > “I had appeared for CFA L3 this time in June and > hopefully should pass out.” > > That’s how I pretty much plan to react when I get > my score too… I just laughed so hard at this that all my co-workers are asking me what’s so funny now…

i agree w psn0706- proving you’re ‘smart’ (having a CFA/good with math models) is not going to get you a job or access to the financial world- if your GMAT scores are that high you’re better off trying to do that and learn all those ‘soft skills’ (which is easy to dismiss, but i think just as important if not more so in real life), and go through the B-school route with recruiters and some real guidance. A lot of stuff might seem like BS, but hey, the world revolves around BS so no point in being overly cynical about it.

Agree…network like hell but face to face not on forums

ook Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Smarshy Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > “I had appeared for CFA L3 this time in June > and > > hopefully should pass out.” > > > > That’s how I pretty much plan to react when I > get > > my score too… > > > I just laughed so hard at this that all my > co-workers are asking me what’s so funny now… Lol, same here…

Gus, I bet you got the “house money” question right, huh?

Thanks guys. What I realize is the best option is start networking and get into one of the top 10 Bschools (ofcourse if I can). I shall take the credit of unknowingly being funny.

ook Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Gus, > > I bet you got the “house money” question right, > huh? Yes, I wasn’t really sure by the name but the text said he had earned a lot of money quickely so I guess the effect would be that you are less risk avert then…