Joey D got a Q for you

It has nothing to do with the name, and like I said I am not trying to rip into you. The bottom line is those suits are garbage, and people on Wall Street can tell the difference. Interviewing is very competitive, especially at top places, and it would be foolish to walk in wearing one of those suits.

If you guys ever go to Hong Kong, build a relationship with one of the good tailors and you’ll be set for a while. Since I made a trip to Asia a couple years ago, I’ve only been buying stuff bespoke, because they already have all my measurements and whatnot. Typically, the tailors come visit the US two or three times a year, so it’s easy to meet up with them and have a look at their fabrics, and tell them how I’d like a suit to be made. Of course, you generally have to have some basic knowledge of men’s fashion and style, but a decent custom-made suit from one of HK’s top tailors can be had for $900 or less. Anyway, just an idea in case any of you guys end up going out there…my point is that you don’t have to drop thousands of dollars to get a nice suit that looks good on you. If you’re looking to buy off-the-track, though, many of the major department stores like Neiman Marcus and Barneys tend to have outlet/off-season sales where you can get stuff for a fraction of their original price. Otherwise, I think other good suggestions include Brooks Brothers and Nordstroms, as they always have sales as well and you can buy a safe, conservative, no-frills but decent looking suit there and pay maybe $50 or so to get the alterations that you need. This is what I would recommend for someone just starting out in the biz, wants to get a solid suit for business situations, but doesn’t want to put a whole lot of thought or money into it.

hey joey, does your suit match your beard?? just wonderin’…

I usually go to the Clinton Outlets you mentioned. I only live 15 minutes or so away. Barney’s, Saks 5th, Brooks Brothers…you should be able to find something that you like in one of the three.

null&nuller Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > hey joey, does your suit match your beard?? > just wonderin’… My beard has all colors in it (and getting some very distinguished grey), thus all suits match it. I guess. Honestly, I don’t know anything about whether or not things match except people have been telling me for years that I need to wear socks when I wear a suit. I don’t know why.

Anyone ever go to a Syms store?? Do they have decent stuff?

isn’t syms sorta like men’s wearhouse? i think men’s wearhouse is pretty commercial/low grade, but i guess people in most industries aren’t as self-conscious as wall street people so maybe it’s ok

I feel odd responding to a thread addressed to another poster, but want to give my thoughts. The designers you wear may be partially determined by your body type. Many of the European designers tend to have suits that look better on a slender person, whereas other designers may look appropriate on the “American” frame. Of course, you can have the suit tailored however you like, but the intial cut may be inconsistent with your body. If you can, I’d recommend upping your ante about $150-$200 and keeping your eyes peeled at Nordstrom. They have suits on sale from time to time at excellent discounts. I happened upon a black pinstripe Canali for a little less than $700. I’m not sure when this happens, but they usually have some awesome discounts durning their half yearly sales as well. I’m a big fan of their tailors, too. Lastly, I’d keep an eye on Brooks Brothers. I get catalogs from them occasionally where they’re selling some of their suits at a sizeable discount.

No I appreciate any responses. It was intended for JoeyD originally as I know he’s located around Fairfield County. Thanks though. I saw online they carry Joseph Abbudo (whatever it is) and other top designers. I believe they are like a Marshalls or TJ MAxx for suits and such.

Actually, you can go see Joe Zemo on Bedford St. Not cheap suits but he does a fine job even if he is a little abrasive.

Thanks Joey. I’ll keep him in mind.