Joey D got a Q for you

Joey, where in Fairfield County is a good place to get a decent suit. I’m not looking for a $1000 suit, but something nice in maybe the $500 range. I have a black (didnt’ know the whole stigma when I bought it) and a charcoal suit already, so I guess I’ll pick up a Navy blue adn maybe another Charcoal. Is Brooks Brothers worth it? Or do you have a better place to go? Any other that are in the Fairfield County area please chime in also. Thanks.

You’re asking me for advice about suits?! I own one. My ex bought it for me. I’ll bet everyone on AF knows more about suits than I do. I’ll bet guys in Hong Kong know more about buying suits in Fairfield County than I do.

what is the stigma with a black suit?

Oh wait. I know. You think that I must get suits tailored like you need them because of our shared anatomical similarities…

haha…yes to go with our big brass B@!!s. I’ve read teh Black suits are too formal for business, so I’ve read.

Go to Macys in the mall - great deal on suits. Good brands like Calvin Klein and Ralph Lauren, for under $500. Usually they’ll have a deal where you can purchase two of the same brand for a discount, which will work out for you if you’re looking for 2.

Macy’s…But isn’t their tailoring subpar? Plus are their sales people knowledgeable??

At specific times of the year, you can get a Hugo Boss suit at Macy’s for sub $600. Other wise, I would suggest just shell out a few dollars and get a Joseph Aboud or something decent. Brooks Brothers suits are too square-ish in my opinion. Instead of a second charcoal, try a pinstripe suit.

Mens Warehouse. They guarantee you are going to like the way you look.

Order a suit or two from this place and spend the rest on tailoring. http://www.milbern.com/index.html?lang=en-us&target=front.html Austin Reed suits are probably the best quality you can find for sub $500 price range. This is the default suggestion on the askandy forums (an insane men’s fashion forum) for new suit buyers that are not prepared to spend $1000+ on a suit. I have a few and they are pretty nice once I got them tailored.

or go to the hugo boss sample sale (sometime in the spring) a block or two away form madison square garden where the suits are either $299 or $399

Brooks Brothers got a nice one for $600

Wanderingcfa thanks for the Tip, but I’ll need to find a good tailor then :). Men’s Warehouse! You’ll hate the way you look, I guarantee it…

There is a Brooks Brothers outlet in CLinton, cT I might have to take a look at it. Anything against these Outlets?

Joey, I thought with you infinite wisdom you’d have knowledge on everything. Let me guess you only wear polo’s to work, lucky.

Go to Nordstroms at West Farms and get a Joseph Aboud.

bigwilly Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Joey, where in Fairfield County is a good place to > get a decent suit. I’m not looking for a $1000 > suit, but something nice in maybe the $500 range. > I have a black (didnt’ know the whole stigma when > I bought it) and a charcoal suit already, so I > guess I’ll pick up a Navy blue adn maybe another > Charcoal. Is Brooks Brothers worth it? Or do you > have a better place to go? Any other that are in > the Fairfield County area please chime in also. > Thanks. I wear a suit everyday and I buy most everything a Jos. A Banks. You can get a wide range of prices there. The key is to call the store and ask when their next sale is. Most of their mid-range suits will be 50% off for a day or two, and you can walk out with a $700-800 dollar suit for around 500 with tailoring. Everything I have bought there I have been happy with. They communicate with you well too and let you know when certain sales are going on and help you get the most for your . You can also try to get a corporate card which gives you an auto 20% off all the time. The best thing I have from there are some suits they call “seperates”. I am built like a RB with huge thighs and I wear through my suit pants pretty frequently. Their seperates are basically suits where all the material comes from the same dye lot, so if you wear through the pants, ruin the coat, etc, you can just go buy another pair of those and they will match the coat perfectly. good stuff. This is assuming there is one close to you however. A bit of fair disclosure - I own the stock. :slight_smile:

Jos A Bank suits are bottom of the rung - and I am being totally honest with you. The suits from there are very low quality and people will be able to tell the difference. Plus I always see promotions from them advertising $200-300 suits, how could you walk out paying that much? Go out, spend the extra couple hundred dollars and get a nice Boss suit. It will last longer, and you will look much better in it.

Agreed.

drs Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Jos A Bank suits are bottom of the rung - and I am > being totally honest with you. The suits from > there are very low quality and people will be able > to tell the difference. Plus I always see > promotions from them advertising $200-300 suits, > how could you walk out paying that much? > > Go out, spend the extra couple hundred dollars and > get a nice Boss suit. It will last longer, and > you will look much better in it. The same way you walk out of a lot of places with a cheap suit - you buy the lowest thread count. I’ve never had a problem there at all. And you walk out paying that much because you are buying a higher quality piece of fabric. To each his own I guess.