John Tortorella has pride, and should retire Megan Rapinoe's dumb a--

http://www.ushistory.org/us/54d.asp

Anyhow, people literally say the exact same thing about marching. At this point you’re just being pedantic.

As I said, it’s great that he’s now giving back to the communities he cares about. I just would have found his protest more sincere (that’s probably not the best word, but can’t think of another) if he had a history of community involvement and charitable giving. I don’t live in SF though, so maybe I’ve just not heard about how involved he’s been over the years, but I think some of his supporters would have noted that in the last week if it were the case and I’ve not heard anything to that effect. I suspect the folks who will eventually receive the benefits of his contributions really don’t care about any of that though, and I’m certain they don’t care about my opinion, so kudos to him for giving back. Everyone has to start sometime.

he’s acting like a child, or he’s lazy. only explanation for his actions versus his alternatives. to say he’s making massive impact is ridiculous. if he got 50 nflers and a few dozen celebrities to walk the street with him that would be much different than an average march and would probably go down as the most pivotal moment in this most recent black rights movement. you’d have millions of fans come out in support, using their legs. pretty sure MLK or MX didn’t accomplish what they did from sitting on a bench.

and it doesn’t have to be a march. hell get nbc to sponsor some black athlete/celebrity event that gets national distribution. he could do literally anything except what he is currently doing, and have a much bigger impact on something actually happening. great, people are talking about what an a$$ he is being, that is real successful. his actions are a major step backwards in the rights movement as it sets a bad example (e.g. do bare minimum, do not use your resources whatsoever, give up basically), especially given his position.

Again:

http://www.ushistory.org/us/54d.asp

Not to mention Jackie Robinson sat through the national anthem for similar reasons. Lazy people, huh.

People made the same criticisms of the BLM marches. People will criticize any stance he makes really.

And maybe he couldn’t get celebs to walk with him so he acted alone, or maybe he wants to act alone, who cares, really. However, the entire Seattle Seahawks are now considering joining him in sitting, now that WOULD be one hell of a statement. And pretty conclusive evidence that you’re completely wrong.

The fact that most of those critiquing him have done nothing and feel the need to criticize those who ARE doing is a phenomenon as old as time. Kudos to him for tuning it out.

Dont care one way or another about the decision. Tortorella always left a bad taste in my mouth when he was coach of the lightening. Hes kind of a huge knob

Summary for the lazy: There was a rumor of Flyers coach talkin smack to a Lightening player, Tortorella goes and complains to the media that its about the 2 teams (which i found pretty ironic that you are making a story about yourself and the other coach instead of the 2 teams)

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/05/13/Lightning/The_gloves_are_off.shtml

Bingo. The majority of Americans just want black people to sit down and shut up about the problems they are saying they face in their community. One of them does it to make a statement and the same people complaining about BLM marches etc jump down his throat. You cant please everyone, so why should he give a rats ass what anyone here thinks of him?

I like Torts. Especially when Hartley goaded him into physically trying to break into the Flames dressing room to wring Hartley’s neck. One of the most entertaining nights of hockey.

Except if said player deserves to be on the team on merit then the coach is biased and hampers the team from reaching maximum potential and should be sacked. After that, he should probably be shot for acting like a patriotic douche-bag without any substance.

You sound like a dweeb and with your other posts on the China thread It looks like you are a dweeb. I wonder if those footy players who walked of pitches when their team was winning forfeiting the game after racist chants were ‘selfish’.

Nail.Head.

The pale ass Yanks here are a disgrace and a parody of their stereotype. Not hard to see why Black people are fed up with them. Apparently, the third verse of the anthem says ‘slaves will get what’s coming to them’ or some such shit. WTF? I think the time is right to escalate, he should stand up next time and cry tears of joy like that North Korean guy in the world cup only to pull the carpet and burn the flag live on TV just after all White folk are beaming with approval at their narrow minded prejudice as to what a great country they live in where everything is sunshine and roses.

The fume alone will be worth it!

*popcorn*

And the director of USA Hockey has a right to fire him, again the beauty of freedom. Che was a freedom fighter, right? So you should be supportive of everyone who exercises their freedom. Did Che and the Castro brothers shoot those who opposed them after they took power in Cuba? Of course not, they embraced honest discussions of their differences.

So, as an advocate of freedom, I trust you advocate exercising the right to freedom the same way that Che espoused?

Of course. Che was the epitome of a passionate freedom fighter. That’s why Monkey has him as his avatar and why scores of well informed young people wear shirts and hats with his picture, right? The stories of him torturing and executing Batista soldiers who had surrendered are nothing but lies created by the US and Batista government. Che was a peaceful man at heart who just wanted to bring freedom to the oppressed peoples of Cuba, Congo, and Bolivia. It pained him that armed revolution was the only way to truly affect change, but he knew that the freedom and improved way of live he won for the people outweighed the tragic loss of life.

[quote=“higgmond”]

Welcome to the fold, glad to have you on board!

I am fully aware of Che’s supervised torture and executions and hardly the communist type, but he was soundly on the right side in a revolution that simultaneously reject Russian and US imperialism. He was doing what was necessary against opponents that were fighting equally dirty and using even worse methods (including the US). The fact that the US stooped to allowing its capitalists interests during that period be controlled by corporations to the point of CIA led rebellions marks one of several low points in our history.

[quote=“Palantir”]

I visit La Higuera to pay my respects every time we go to Bolivia to visit my wife’s family. We sing Hasta Siempre together. You should make the trip someday.

Che was fighting an ugly adversary that was committing war crimes like it was going out of fashion (the US). Lets start with the fact that the CIA frequently employed nearly 1,000 Nazis it helped smuggle into the US.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/27/us/in-cold-war-us-spy-agencies-used-1000-nazis.html?_r=0

John Stockwell who served as a CIA station chief ultimately resigned, testified to congress and was on 60 minutes (as well as wrote a book) while alleging the US CIA was following corrupt and criminal practices and senior politicians were lying to the American people. He estimated as many as 6 million people had died through CIA covert operations through 1987.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Stockwell

There’s the whole Guatemala revolution fueled at the request of United Fruit.

In Laos, the CIA conducted nearly a coup per year over a 9 year period to try to eliminate the “communist threat” and conducted 580,000 unsanctioned aerial bombing missions which pushed nearly 1/4 of the nation’s population into refuge. All of which ultimately failed. You’re welcome for the freedom, Asia.

Then there’s the whole massive humanitarian mess we created in Vietnam for no apparent reason in the name of freedom.

I could literally go on and on and on. There were a lot of good aspects of the US at times, but frankly the cold war served as a humanitarian embarrassment of nationalistic jingoism for all involved. Che was right to call the empires out.

[quote=“higgmond”]

I just watch the Motorcycle Diaries…

Yes, now that you’ve demonstrated that you can grasp the nuances of such a difficult situation perhaps you can apply similar reasoning and realize how stupid it is to get so overworked over a nothing gesture.

[quote=“Palantir”]

You’re not a true believer. Hacksaw Guevarist.

Worked up? I support the right of Kaep and the few others who have joined him to voice their opinion. Che and our very own George Washington both fought for such freedom.