JPM Safe

With the banking sector taking a big dive last week, I’m starting to get worried about my job starting this summer. What do you guys think are the odds that JPM becomes the next Citi?

I can’t speak to your job specifically but JPM appears to be in much better shape than C. However, the environment remains extremly challenging and will not meaningfully improve until the economy and asset prices stabilize. Staff reductions are happening all over the place so that risk is out there for all of us.

JPM the company is pretty safe. Can’t speak for the employees though.

No it’s not.

Would you buy the stock?

Bangkok Dangerous.

come on guys. i thought i hit a homerun with this one ^ i need some positive reinforcement.

Brave Matt. I would have more faith in JPM if they had stayed away from Washington Mutual.

eric23 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Brave Matt. > > I would have more faith in JPM if they had stayed > away from Washington Mutual. Do you really think JPM bought WaMu without substantial pressure from Paulson and the rest of his crew? JPM probably didn’t have much of a say in the deal.

they just bought their deposits, not the debt of the bankrupt entity, right? whats the big deal?

they paid the lowest premium ever for a takeover of another banks deposits when they got wamu. i dont think anyone would argue they overpaid. their main problem is the credit card exposure and the higher end of housing collapsing.

What about CMBS?

In Sep last year, Ken Lewis was fighting for the King of Banking title with Mr. Diamond. Now he is fighting for survival. Things can change very rapidly, that is one thing we should have learned already.

Would you buy any banking stocks right now?