Just noticed- Min wage to reset 7/24/2008 to $6.55

Most states have are higher anyway, but I wonder what sort of an effect (if any) it will have on the markets. I’d assume most of it would already be priced in… A lot of retailers/ restaurants/ sm businesses might have their payrolls grow ~10%

>>A lot of retailers/ restaurants/ sm businesses might have their payrolls grow ~10% Not if they have to freeze hiring rather than pay the higher wage in a sluggish economy.

to my knowledge, there is no “grandfathering” of wages. It doesn’t matter if you are hired prior to the increase, if you are getting min wage, you are getting a raise. Of course they will reduce hiring, and possibly lower staff anyway as a way to save $ in light of the increase… thats econ 101 min wage theory. This is not really a big deal compared to the madness going on now, but I’m surprised it hasn’t been brought up in the news since its happening in less than 2 weeks.

akanska, i probably make close to minimum wage on a per-hour basis, but we can still go out right? :slight_smile:

tell me about it- after tax I was probably making 4x more per hour waitressing in college than I so now. No benefits though… but then again, my 401k has done nothing but loose money so?? edit: how about if you exclude time spent on AF ?? hehe

yea, my 401(k) hasn’t exactly been a top performer either. at least i shifted a bunch of stuff out of equities about half a year ago. don’t get me started on the whole AF thing - makes me sad just thinking about it!!

time spent on AF is an investment in your future