just opened the official CFAI texts for the first time...

…and it is kind of disheartening how much more info is in them than in Schweser. Probably too late now to reconcile, oh well… ‘all Schweser all the time’ got me through levels 1 and 2 so hopefully it will do the same on 3.

I know a few friends who never opened the box and passed L3. Most charterholders I know said Schweser is all you need.

that’s the goal! i had >70% on all sections, but one each for level 1 and 2… just gotta focus on nailing what’s in schweser and realizing that can get you 90% of the way there i guess. GLTA

The thing is even with the official books there’s no way you can always get everything. Questions on the text could be based on as little as one paragraph out of the text. You simply can’t absorb all that information.

Schweser was a huge let down at level iii. I was very disappointed in all facets of the program.

Paraguay Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Schweser was a huge let down at level iii. I was > very disappointed in all facets of the program. +1000

i think schweser gets worse as the levels go on, probably b/c the material gets more and more in depth. i was almost exclusively schweser in L1 and L2. last year i did mainly schweser, including qbank. this year is my 1st time where i didn’t order schweser. doing it almost all CFA this time around. we’ll see how it goes. i think you could definitely do fine with just schweser, but especially in 3 with the wording of the AM stuff and everything, i feel like studying and getting into the CFA mindset vs the schweser one (if that makes sense) is important. we’ll get curveballs on test day, regardless of what text you read. i think qbank for L3 is pretty bad, though. EOC’s and old CFA exams I think are much more useful.

you guys are scaring me my plan over the next 5.5 days is to do quick refresher reads of the schweser notes and spend the rest of the time taking and reviewing CFAI text EOC questions, CFAI '11 Mock afternoon, and those '07, '08, '09 CFAI Morning Sessions as well as devoting 6-7 hours to Ethics/GIPS review.

i personally know a guy who passed all 3 levels with JUSt schwesser. it can be done. ive relied on 50% CFAI and 50% stalla readings for Level III. level II i used 30% CFAI and 70% stalla and passed

Don’t feel bad, at my firm no one uses the CFAI books and manage to pass without an issue. That being said, I do find that at least a marginal look at the CFAI books helpful.

Paraguay Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Schweser was a huge let down at level iii. I was > very disappointed in all facets of the program. The actual L3 Schweser “notes” (the 5 main books) seem ok.

The thing is who is using the CFAI material at this point? If I need to grab something for reference 9/10 going for the Schweser.

thepinkman Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The thing is who is using the CFAI material at > this point? If I need to grab something for > reference 9/10 going for the Schweser. If I see a term I haven’t seen before, I search the e-book. Also going over EOCs to identify any traps that may be thrown in the afternoon.

Dude don’t sweat it. Can’t do anything now. Hopefully you’ve done all the EOCs and at least looked at a good amount of the blue boxes. That should take care of the majority of the discrepancies. Out of all the CFAI practice/prior exams there I don’t recall anything that was way out there that required the materials over schweser.

I didn’t get to the last CFAI book, but going to try this week. Have to say for the most part I found them frustrating because many of the answers they provide go into such excrutiating detail that you could never hope to answer a question that way on the test. That being said, it was refreshing to see how short the answers were on the AM sections of the actual tests.