knowledge of maths and finance for attempting CFA

Overstudy was my method of study. I put in way more hours than required and passed all the exams on the first try.

Me too. I’d rather study 500-600 hours for one test than to study 300, be borderline and not pass, and have to study 300 again.

^ Yes. Wasting another spring is a high cost to pay.

You need to know some Stats and basic high school mathematics. Even if you are not in touch or was not good at that, as per my opinion no other courses are required. I will suggest you join some CFA coaching and they will take care of your deficiencies and help you work on them.

www.cfatutor.net - a tutoring service that offers intensive CFA preparation through coaching

I don’t know why this thread keeps popping back up. HS mathematics is the answer.

I’d encourage all candidates to take at least two courses in topology: point-set topology and algebraic topology.

They won’t help you on the CFA exams, but they’re really interesting subjects.

That reminds me of a manifolds course I took for one day in grad school - switched to numerical analysis for the next class, and changed my major from pure to applied mathematics haha.

My favorite classes were combinatorics followed by number theory - some fascinating stuff.

But yeah HS math is enough for the CFA exams.

I never took a combinatorics class, but I tutored a friend in grad school through his, and later taught it a few times. Number theory was quite fun. I never got to algebraic number theory; not enough hours in the day.

I’m pure math all the way: abstract algebra and topology primarily. I’d love to get a PhD in knot theory.

I guess you could learn measure theory for the probability parts?

I can’t think of a single part of the curriculum where measure theory would be at all helpful. I don’t think there’s any probability beyond Bayes’ Theorem or knowing some very basic pdfs.

I was following S2000’s advice :slight_smile: . Measure theory is msc level stuff, farrrr beyond CFA scope, I hope nobody takes this seriously.

In level 1, you don’t even need your calculator to pass. No joke. I believe I used it for 3 out of the 240 questions.

L1 is more conceptual.