L1 pass rate

35%. bad news for us i guess

wow, pretty low. Def not feeling good about this.

I don’t get it, why would this be bad news for us??

If you extrapolate the low level one pass rate to level 3 (a dubious effort at best), then you can create the theory that the required distribution of official texts this year somehow resulted in a lower passing rate for L3. Or something. (Heavy emphasis on the last sentence). Nobody knows. Stop getting your panties in a bunch.

the institute has shown the intent to release lesser into the next level and basically making it tough for each candidate to clear irrespective of levels…thats why but i hope that would nt apply for L3…really hoping

Pretty simple. There are more people taking L1 than in previous years, and a relatively smaller proportion of this incremental group is as prepared for the exam as previous test-takers. So the pass rate goes down. I think it means exactly zero with regard to L3.

I agree. If you look at historical pass rates for all three exams, there is really no correlation. http://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprog/pdf/candidate_results.pdf

Looking at some of the L1 results, apparently the people who failed were given a “performance band” score that indicated how they did within the failing group. Looks like 1-9, I guess, with 9 closest to passing. Has CFA ever provided such an indicator before?

^^^ Is this true, I have never heard of this before?

Some posts below mention it. Scale apparently 1-10. http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?11,799795

I’ve been saying 40% for a while to friends. Although I admit there is no likely correlation. I just think their turning Level III into a full fledged below 50% chance test like LI and II

CFA_Halifax Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- I just think their turning Level III into a full fledged below 50% chance test like LI and II F that. Let’s take this to a vote. I vote no.

I think Level 3 pass rate will be higher than normal. Here’s my thinking… they don’t want to dilute the value of the designation. Therefore this year you will see a lot of fails at Level 1 and/or 2. However, to keep candidates interested in pursuing the designation, there will be a higher pass rate this year at L3… and people will once again be talking about how easy it is to pass L3 if you can just get through those first 2 levels…even though we all know l# it was the most difficult of the 3 tests. At least that is how I am keeping a positive attitude about the whole thing.

“However, to keep candidates interested in pursuing the designation, there will be a higher pass rate this year at L3” This doesnt make sense. You really think there are people who got through L1 and L2 who will say to themselves “ahh forget it, im going to give up now” NO WAY!!! It doesnt matter how many times I fail L3, i will have to pass it, i put in too much effort and sacrificed too much time in the prime of my life (mid-20’s) to simply throw it all away

aic Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I agree. If you look at historical pass rates for > all three exams, there is really no correlation. > > http://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprog/pdf/candidate_ > results.pdf Has anyone ever run the correlation analysis on historical pass rates? I’d be interested in seeing exactly what the value is.

IH8FSA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > “However, to keep candidates interested in > pursuing the designation, there will be a higher > pass rate this year at L3” > > > This doesnt make sense. You really think there > are people who got through L1 and L2 who will say > to themselves “ahh forget it, im going to give up > now” > > NO WAY!!! It doesnt matter how many times I > fail L3, i will have to pass it, i put in too much > effort and sacrificed too much time in the prime > of my life (mid-20’s) to simply throw it all away I think you read the post incorrectly. What I was trying to get at was the L1’ and L2’s that may be very discouraged and thinking about quitting might be more apt to stay in if they were borderline and there is a high L3 pass rate this year.

Reminds me of one reading in Behaviorial Finance “Human beings try to find a pattern in everything…” By running complex statistical regressions we are trying to predict something which we cannot ! =) …any thoughts ? :wink:

bromion Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > CFA_Halifax Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > I just think their turning Level III into a full > fledged below 50% chance test like LI and II > > F that. Let’s take this to a vote. I vote no. I certainly hope so!!!

don´t forget that 35% is pass rate for all level 1 test takers… if you look at level 1 forum, pass rate of people registered in the forum is much higher (there is a lot of >70%)… although perhaps this is just a stupid comment trying to think that “we are better because we write here and share our doubts / help each other”, don´t know…

^agree. When I browse the LI forum, the passage rate is around 70% so far.