Last Day on the Job

Is there anything I should do before I go? I’ve never had to go through this before.

say goodbye to as many people as you can talk about your experience at the firm - what you learnt etc and your plans, career interests make sure you’ve completed the hand-off process - everyone knows where to find stuff etc leave contact information shrug it off and look forward to the next place you will call home

shift+delete your emails

Well, I know I’m going to be clearing my web history. My few personal emails have been deleted. In most cases I used my gmail for personal correspondence.

cfaatsb Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > say goodbye to as many people as you can > talk about your experience at the firm - what you > learnt etc and your plans, career interests > make sure you’ve completed the hand-off process - > everyone knows where to find stuff etc > leave contact information > shrug it off and look forward to the next place > you will call home I did the exact same thing, a couple of weeks ago. Good-bye to as many people, passing along the contact info, cell number, personal email addresses to as many as possible, firm shakehands with the people who take the decision’s :wink: and I mailed them with my new company contact email address. Just don’t burn the bridges. Though you had a good plan to make a mockery of your CEO at your gym. Good luck for the future! tough times.

dinesh.sundrani Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > cfaatsb Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > say goodbye to as many people as you can > > talk about your experience at the firm - what > you > > learnt etc and your plans, career interests > > make sure you’ve completed the hand-off process > - > > everyone knows where to find stuff etc > > leave contact information > > shrug it off and look forward to the next place > > you will call home > > I did the exact same thing, a couple of weeks ago. > Good-bye to as many people, passing along the > contact info, cell number, personal email > addresses to as many as possible, firm shakehands > with the people who take the decision’s :wink: and I > mailed them with my new company contact email > address. Just don’t burn the bridges. Though you > had a good plan to make a mockery of your CEO at > your gym. Good luck for the future! tough times. Thanks Dinesh, At this time I do not have another firm to go to so I’ll leave my personal email and phone number. As far as I can tell I’m on the best terms I can be. Our CEO is a good sport and should get a kick out of his trainer giving him a grinder workout ‘for laying ditchdigger off.’ I’ll be sure to hit you up for that referral code around December.

Agreed, leave on your best terms, and say good-bye to people personally. It doesn’t hurt to strike up a brief personal convo on your last day to leave an impression. You never know - one of your colleagues may help you get another job down the line, or even be the one to work for you in the future.

ditchdigger2CFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > dinesh.sundrani Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > cfaatsb Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > say goodbye to as many people as you can > > > talk about your experience at the firm - what > > you > > > learnt etc and your plans, career interests > > > make sure you’ve completed the hand-off > process > > - > > > everyone knows where to find stuff etc > > > leave contact information > > > shrug it off and look forward to the next > place > > > you will call home > > > > I did the exact same thing, a couple of weeks > ago. > > Good-bye to as many people, passing along the > > contact info, cell number, personal email > > addresses to as many as possible, firm > shakehands > > with the people who take the decision’s :wink: and > I > > mailed them with my new company contact email > > address. Just don’t burn the bridges. Though > you > > had a good plan to make a mockery of your CEO > at > > your gym. Good luck for the future! tough > times. > > Thanks Dinesh, > > At this time I do not have another firm to go to > so I’ll leave my personal email and phone number. > As far as I can tell I’m on the best terms I can > be. Our CEO is a good sport and should get a kick > out of his trainer giving him a grinder workout > ‘for laying ditchdigger off.’ > > I’ll be sure to hit you up for that referral code > around December. ohh so sorry, I thought you were moving jobs. So no work from Monday in this crappy market? sounds difficult. It’s so bad otta here in NYC, every freaking firm on the street is on a hiring freeze.

I’m in the Midwest where jobs seem a little better. So far in the city I am in I have not seen headlines for layoffs.

I would take the effort to find out what areas others believe you need to improve. Work on those during your job hunt.

I actually wouldn’t ask about how to improve – it’s just not necessary. I also don’t think anyone cares. This is ditchdigger2CFA’s last chance to make an impression so keep things as positive as possible. It’s not about improvement at this point; frankly, ditchdigger2CFA was probably a good worker and the company went through a downsizing. Whenever I left a company, I never was curious about how I could improve – I already knew what most of my strengths and weaknesses were, and I always like to leave with my head up high rather than a position of weakness, regardless of whether my departure was voluntary. Plus, I firmly believe that colleagues will need me as much as I needed them, especially once I moved on – and this has proven to be true (people at my former firms still call me for job advice and networking). The best thing is to be in everyone else’s good graces, leave a lasting impression, and keep in touch.

^ Granted, it would be best to ask earlier than last day, but there is a reason someone else still has a job.

The firm is simply running lean. Therefore senior key people are being kept while the less senior people are being let go. I was lucky to dodge the first axing that happened in July where 30% (4 people) of the workforce was let go. Now 2 more people are being let going with the bare minimum still on board. My manager told me today that if market conditions do not improve, it is likely the firm will shut down by Jan 1. To be honest, I feel sorry for those who are left. They are drastically being overworked to keep a ship from sinking. I can’t imagine any raises are being given to those who are assuming the duties of the roles being cut.

That could be a good point. I guess it all depends how badly you really want to know the reason for the layoffs. It’s sort of like, if a guy and a girlfriend breakup and he thinks she may have cheated on him at one point, does he really ask in hopes of finding out the answer? Sometimes it’s best not to know. I guess if I were laid off, the thing I’d be most concerned about would be preserving my own mental sanity rather than finding out all the areas in which I could have improved. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

"say goodbye to as many people as you can " …by walking out of their with your pants around your ankles and your middle finger in the air. Willy