Last day...

Well it’s been two weeks since I tendered my resignation to the big cheese and tomorrow is my last day. I feel really “weird”. Not good not bad but a mixture of multiple emotions. Do you guys get what I mean? Willy

I know exactly what you mean. I hope I’m feeling the same thing soon :slight_smile:

Yeah I mean on the one hand I feel somewhat guilty for basically leaving these wonderful people. But thats business I suppose. I mean I know they’ll be somewhat lost - for a time anyways - finding someone who will do the work I did. Not that it was revolutionary of groundbreaking or anything like that [although I did know my way around the old bloomberg terminal and a few other apps] but I think they’ll have a tough time finding someone who will put up with a lot of the non-sense I had to deal with, and that’s one of the reasons why I am leaving. But still, they aren’t bad people they just weren’t a very good investment firm. Willy

Same feeling as when you have to let someone go that seems to be making progress…

I mean this place was great in terms of people. In terms of other things however it was a bunch of problems that I was naturally never told about and had to find out on my own. For example, the glacial progress that many important projects took, the “just say whatever it takes to get the sale” mentality, the “see now the entire problem with this report Willy is that it really should be in Times New Roman font, not Arial” [from the “wiz kids” in Marketing]. At first I got po’d that a lot of my suggestions were never implemented until I talked to an analyst [who bailed about 6 months ago now] and he told me that he had the same experience: people with no actual training in investments [i.e. CFA or MBA or even the basics: CSC] were the ones calling the shots and the “brand names” in finance [i.e. CFA and MBA] were simply hired to push product. I’m outta here tomorrow. And then you sort of sit back and go “Well heck, the first good opportunity that comes along I am going to take”, and I have. Willy

The emotions you feel when quitting definitely depend on how close you feel with the people there. When I left my first BB research job a couple years ago, it was very tough - money and seniority were key considerations for my decision to leave, but the culture at my first shop was a much better fit for me. When I left my last gig for my current job, it wasn’t as tough leaving - sure, there were people I was going to miss, but overall I was really ready to move on and felt a sense of elation as I walked out the door for the last time.

I think tomorrow once it sets in that I no longer have to validate the performance of these god awful funds, I’ll be able to sleep a little easier because I’ll know that I’m no longer doing what’s wrong for my clients. I mean I left for money too but it feels good to make a bit more cheddar working for a more established shop. Never again at one of these start ups. Although, truth be told: I learned a ton. And again, I made some great contacts and relationships. Was worth the year of my time but I’m ready to move on for sure. And the b _ _ _ _ of having to drive to the (905) is finally over. God I hate it here. I mean no offense if you like the (905) it’s bound to have some great great areas but MY GOD I couldn’t handle it for much longer. They should change the slogan of the (905) from whatever it is now to “Welcome to the 905…900,000 residents…1.2 million idling vehicles”. Willy

Thattaboy!

Thanks, I’m telling you. If you’re an advisor or a client and want diWORSEsification this place I’m leaving tomorrow wrote the book on it. Oh. And try…daaaahahaha…just try to introduce something that - God forbid - made sense. Willy

Well it’s the day I’ve been waiting for… Willy

Willy, I mean this with all respect possible, as a new job is very exciting, and i am psyched for you. But, you need to get over this a bit. Really, it is great news that you are happier and that you will be making more money. I wish everyone on this board the same type of luck. But, changing jobs is part of life. Don’t get so attached to a job/employer, as they will never do the same for you. You will find yourself getting walked all over. Maybe that is what drove you out, I dont know. I wish you the best of luck in the new job, best wishes for strong performance, asset growth and wealth! I really mean this note with the best of intentions.

Will, you’ve said some stuff on this forum that I don’t always agree with, but I respect your opinion… However, your hate for the (905) is inspiring.

Willy, Good luck for the new job. Your description of your earlier organization mirrors mine. The people are good here, but they arise issues similar to those mentioned by you and they have very dazzling degrees and certifications. Well, I am waiting for the day I get a break. Good that you have got the break you needed; congrats and good luck for the same.

Willy, good luck in the new place!

Wait, do we work in the same firm? WillyR Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I mean this place was great in terms of people. In > terms of other things however it was a bunch of > problems that I was naturally never told about and > had to find out on my own. For example, the > glacial progress that many important projects > took, the “just say whatever it takes to get the > sale” mentality, the “see now the entire problem > with this report Willy is that it really should be > in Times New Roman font, not Arial” . At first I > got po’d that a lot of my suggestions were never > implemented until I talked to an analyst and he > told me that he had the same experience: people > with no actual training in investments were the > ones calling the shots and the “brand names” in > finance were simply hired to push product. I’m > outta here tomorrow. And then you sort of sit back > and go “Well heck, the first good opportunity that > comes along I am going to take”, and I have. > > Willy

Believe there are many organizations with similar structure and environment. Correction - In my last post missed “don’t” before dazzling. Actually, many of my colleagues don’t have very prestigious degrees or certifications.

It would be hilarious if asdfdsa is Willy’s boss asdffdsa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Wait, do we work in the same firm? > > WillyR Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I mean this place was great in terms of people. > In > > terms of other things however it was a bunch of > > problems that I was naturally never told about > and > > had to find out on my own. For example, the > > glacial progress that many important projects > > took, the “just say whatever it takes to get > the > > sale” mentality, the “see now the entire > problem > > with this report Willy is that it really should > be > > in Times New Roman font, not Arial” . At first > I > > got po’d that a lot of my suggestions were > never > > implemented until I talked to an analyst and > he > > told me that he had the same experience: people > > with no actual training in investments were > the > > ones calling the shots and the “brand names” in > > finance were simply hired to push product. > I’m > > outta here tomorrow. And then you sort of sit > back > > and go “Well heck, the first good opportunity > that > > comes along I am going to take”, and I have. > > > > Willy

Don’t you mean if Willy was ASDASDFLHASDKFHASD’ boss? Willy