Last workout of 2010

Squats, Lunges, Calf Raises, Lateral pull, Dips, Abs Goals for 2011 Squat - 185 Bench - 185 Vertical jump - 36

squat 185 and bench 185??? these 2 numbers should not be the same

CFAcountry Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > squat 185 and bench 185??? these 2 numbers should > not be the same I know, I know, but there is only so much workout my legs can take! I have never worked out my legs before this year and my body was waaay out of balance

Are those one rep maxes or reps? Aren’t you only like 145 pounds? If those are reps at that weight those are half decent numbers. Awesome vertical jump! What did you do to train the jump?

BiPolarBoyBoston Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Are those one rep maxes or reps? Aren’t you only > like 145 pounds? If those are reps at that weight > those are half decent numbers. > > Awesome vertical jump! What did you do to train > the jump? Depends on how many reps. When i wrestled i was 145 with one rep max of 255 on bench.

255 @ 145 is pretty strong, were you in high school? How tall are you if you don’t mind me asking? Big difference between 5’10 145 and 5’4 145.

I am 5’8". I was a jr in high school when i did that and may have been 5’7" at the time. Wresting is insane though cuz you basically get a full body workout every nite, plus I had a lifting class in the morning. I dont max out anymore, but my regular arm workout is using 75 or 80 lb dumbells and do 3 sets of 10 reps bench press. Right now im about 180, but ill get down to about 170 soon.

Great strength, you must of been one of the stronger guys in your school. Well on the way to a double body weight bench. EDIT: sounds like you gained some weight. If you kept at it you could of had a 365 bench at 180 which would be pretty elite. I think its always good to go heavy like 2-3 rep max every month or so.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen an 80 lb dumbell.

BiPolarBoyBoston Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Great strength, you must of been one of the > stronger guys in your school. Well on the way to a > double body weight bench. > > EDIT: sounds like you gained some weight. If you > kept at it you could of had a 365 bench at 180 > which would be pretty elite. I think its always > good to go heavy like 2-3 rep max every month or > so. I have gained weight. keep in mind i really forced myself to keep my weight down in during the time i wrestled. I gained weight cuz i played baseball in college and it really helped the power.

BiPolarBoyBoston Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Are those one rep maxes or reps? Aren’t you only > like 145 pounds? If those are reps at that weight > those are half decent numbers. > > Awesome vertical jump! What did you do to train > the jump? reps, squat 3x5, bench 3x8. Those are my targets for the end fo 2011 My vertical right now is about 30 or so. I probably added 4 inches when i just started working out my legs. Hopefully once i throw in some plyo exercises and increase squat output i will be able to reach 36

Got my first workout for 2011 last night. Cabbing it home now. Happy new year all!

Even though i was training very consistently i couldn’t hit my targets\ Got squat up to 165, so i can probably do 185 RM, but didn’t try Bench Got to 165 too, and i am confident i can do 185 RM Dramatically improved Dead Lift to 255 (3x3) Vertical - didn’t measure but improvement might have been top 1-1.5 inches. Looks like i am hitting major platue. Not sure how to break through

CSK, what is your height/weight? Post your routine and your diet. I doubt you are eating enough. Do you do cardio?

Mon - Squat (5x3) + Bench (5x3) Tues - Power Clean + Box Jumps (48inch) Wed - Walking Lunges - 20x3, Pull-ups Thursday - Various. Fri - Dead Lift

My weight is about 155 and Height 5’11

Well, you can bench more than your weight. Most people can’t do that. Google Rippetoe’s starting strength and check that out. I also doubt you eat enough because you are so thin. You have to take in more cals than you need to put on muscle.

I like starting strength’s program. Rippetoe is a bit of a meat head, but he knows his stuff pretty well

I’m going to focus on the vertical, since it sounds like that is where you are disappointed. It’s hard to give a comprehensive plan without more detail (and I haven’t trained anyone in a while), but off the top of my head: 1) What were your numbers at the start of the year? It is likely that you are not putting weight on aggressively enough due to mental (as opposed to physical) barriers, because you should not be hitting a wall very soon after beginning to squat. This brings me to my next point: 2) As stated above, what is your diet? 3) If you can tell me specifically what you do every week for a year, then I would think your routine is probably soul-crushingly boring. You need to be excited about working out to make progress…progress creates more excitement and the feedback, and the positive feedback loop continues. Additionally, doing the same routine all the time means that your body will adapt to that routine and progress will slow and plateau. I have run into this problem myself. 4) Strength and power are different, although related. Strength is what you train with the squats, which is generally a slow, controlled up and down where you move the weight over a distance. The time it takes you to move the weight is not a factor. Think of power as your ability to deploy the strength you have over time. The faster you can deploy that strength the more power you have. Vertical jump increases with power and coordination, below. 5) Box jumps are definitely a good start, but I don’t think that they are the only think you should be doing from a plyo standpoint. First, what rep scheme to you use for the box jumps? 46 inches is a pretty decent jumb. If you want to increase your vertical, a good way to start would be to do low rep, high box jumps since this will teach your muscles and ligaments how to generate power in that jumping movement. Obviously at some point you will have to jump higher in order to increase your box jump since you can only lift your feet about as high as your hips (assuming you have very good balance). Anyway, those are some cursory thoughts.

Oh, also it is important that you are squatting properly for you to get a good result. You don’t have to go ass to ground, but definitley let your thighs break parallel to the ground, keep an arch in your back at the lumbar curve, keep your core tight and make sure to use your hamstrings and glutes. A lot of people find it helpful to try to push their knees out in order to engage their hamstrings and glutes.