late registration, late start

getting screwed! Anyone else starting now? What should be the attack plan? 1 reading a day on average? Just not hitting this target. Too wordy to read CFA text. What’s the next best thing to do?

You have 80 days to study for this exam. Assuming you need 350 hours to stand a solid chance of passing, that’s about 4.3 hours a day, every day. In short, give up your life. If you are unemplyed, you’re set. If you’re working, then buy energy drinks in bulk. If you want to cut study time short, you’ll need a study provider’s books. CFAI is just too lengthy for short time scales. I like Schweser’s stuff, but I haven’t tried anyone else’s.

agree with grumble , like you I too am starting now . I can see some overlap in quant and derivatives from FRM readings (studied when I took FRM 2009) ,Other than that everything looks brutal . I am sticking to 1 reading per day(schweser) + EOC questions + a bit of schweser videos . I plan to to solve CFAI EOC questions during weekends . I am talking 10 days off before exam and I am getting a 9 day break in april (couple of public holidays combined with weekends ) so I would love to cover up bulk of the portions during that time . I dont think I will get time to review the entire materials .

grumble: i am not unemployed. cfai suggest 250 hrs. that means i have to study approx 3 hrs everyday. That’s also pushing my luck. I’ve decided to trust the books till april end, because I hear schweser is a sure way to fail. Anyways, i’d like to know what sections in CFAI text to skip all together, given such limited time?

Pepp, I am also starting late. Working on Economics now. You should be able to do it if you can put 5-6 hours on weekend. There is nothing to skip from CFAI text, everything is important. where are you now in the CFAI text ?

3rd party material (like schweser, stalla) mostly would take one to Band10 and few lucky ones get thru. CFA material is sure shot…

Most of the people I’ve met with CFAs used Schweser. They said it made the information easier to remember; however, if you don’t do the EOCs and read CFAI text for any chapters you aren’t killing, then you’re an idiot.

if you’ve got to the point of level 2, i doubt you are an idiot. however, at this point for late starters like myself, choices are limited and the curriculum is insanely vast. we are here to help each other and i’ve found out that i am on avg taking 4 minutes for each page of cfai. this is just to read it and understand. so, i figure given 2400 pages, i need about 9600 minutes, which is equal to 160 hrs just to do one pass of cfai text. haven’t calculated the time to do EOC. however somoene said it takes 40 hrs, so that’s 200 hrs. if i put in 3 hrs everyday *seriously* for next 75 days then its doable, but i doubt my ability to put in 3 hrs everyday after work. i can barely read 3 pages. oh god, bless me.

^ I don’t know why people calculate it all the way down to “minutes it takes to understand a page on average”. Spend that time actually studying where it actually helps you.

pepp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > grumble: i am not unemployed. > cfai suggest 250 hrs. that means i have to study > approx 3 hrs everyday. That’s also pushing my > luck. > > I’ve decided to trust the books till april end, > because I hear schweser is a sure way to fail. > Anyways, i’d like to know what sections in CFAI > text to skip all together, given such limited > time? I think the CFAI suggests 300 hours now. Obviously it’s just a pie in the sky number, but having failed L2 once I think the 250-300 minimum is fairly accurate. I was only able to study ~175 hours last year and I think if I had been able to crank out another 80-100 I could have passed. Schweser isn’t a sure fire way to fail, but if you condense 3000 pages of text into 1500 you are bound to omit a few details here and there. There really isn’t much you can skip unless you just go by topic weightings. You HAVE to, MUST know FSA & Equity cold. That’s at least 40% of the exam guaranteed. Ethics is guaranteed to be another 10% so you’re already @ 50.

I’ve spoken with CFA’s who used Schweser all the way through. It’s unique for each person on how easily you are able to pick up the topics. If you use Schweser and understand all of the different parts they cover you are going to pass. You can’t cast a net over everyone using Schweser and say it’s not enough studying…because that simply isnt true

Pepp I remember you from back in the day @ level 1. I started about a week ago and I am going to hammer through schweser and focus on EOC questions. Good luck!

haha beingthatguy, i remember you too. studying for L1 was fun. but after having failed l2 in 2009 I can’t say the same for L2, sad as it may be. i had to take a break in 2010 for personal reasons. so don’t remember a god damn thing from 2009. kinda worried i might have signed up too late for this thing. L2 is no joke. :((

I am actually in the EXACT same boat. Literally. Hammer it out!