Late Start

New to the forum, so hello to all! I was trying to get a feel of whether it would be too late to start studying for the June level 1 exam. I start a full time MBA in the fall and have a good amount of experience in finance. Also, are the study materials sent after signing up good enough to pass?

It all depends on how much time you can devote to studying for the exam, if you are short on time then Schweser study notes or another prep course might be a better option. The CFAI text as you will soon see is alot of material to cover in 3 months (again, depending upon how much time you can devote). If you are a fast reader and see that alot of the text talks about material that you already know from experience, then you might be able to just do with the CFAI text.

Thanks Hanks, I should be able to devote around 1 1/2 to 2 hours a day. Is this enough time to get through the CFAI texts? I don’t know anyone personally who has taken the exam, so I’m just trying to get a feel for the difficulty level. I realize it’s more difficult than the GMAT’s, but is this primarly due to the quantity of material?

the estimate is 250hrs. But that estimate may be more of a lower bound then average or upper bound. There are many threads on the difficulty on the exams, as well as the amount of efforted need for to study for them, as well as the most efficient ways to study for it. Scroll through some of them, or do a search on it. the difficulty in the CFA level 1 exam is the quantity of the material.

2 hrs/day * 90 days till test = total studying time of 180 hrs. These are upper estimates and given that it takes about 2 weeks to get the materials your lookin at closer to 150 hours. CFAI recommends at least 250 hours of study time if you want a shot at passing. Now im not saying you shouldnt give it a shot but just bang out like 5-6 hours a day on the weekend instead of 2hrs or something Its ALOT of content and you are going to want to leave yourself at least a couple weeks to just review and take practice tests. God luck

… 2 hrs a day should be fine as long as you can give some good 10+ hrs of time during the weekend, I agree with GenY that you do need to give yourself a couple weeks before the exam just to review the topics and do practice exams. I would say try to be done with the reading around 2nd week of May the latest and give your self atleast 3 weeks till the exam for review and test taking. See if you can take a couple of days off from work and make up for lost time.