Learning Tennis

former trader Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m a regular tennis player and also hit the > weights at the gym often. One thing I like less > about tennis is that (as a right hander), it > builds more my right side (right arm & pec > especially). Then clearning the chamber later on builds the left side, it works out well!

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Tennis is a great game and one that can last you > your lifetime. Your dedication now will pay off. > That’s a good way to learn the basic motion of a > serve, but in actuality, the racquet never comes > behind your back – in fact, doing so would > prevent you from getting the “whip” needed to > launch the racquet up at the ball. If you look at > hi-techtennis.com, you’ll see that whenever the > pro’s serve, their racquet actually drops > *parallel* to the side of their body as part of > the windup, and NOT in a “back scratching” way. > You are restricting your motion if you let the > racquet fall that far off to the side of your > body. The “back scratching” with the racquet as > part of the serve is one of the most common > misconceptions about tennis and should be avoided > at all costs. > This is interesting because the videos at FYB show this position you are saying to avoid. Not that I doubt you (I understand I have no idea). I am hesitant to pay to see the vidoes at hi-techtennis. Is there a free one there I could view? Here is what I was watching at FYB: http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/video-tennis-lessons/serve/serve-fundamentals/racket-drop/ Edit: They also show some pros doing it. Could it just be filming angles?

Also, I wanted to say that I really appreciate the help from everybody here. I used to be a golf professional before finance so if any of you need any help in that area I will be happy to assist.

It’s the filming angle that’s making it look like the “back scratch” is towards the middle of the back. That’s not what really happens. If you look carefully, there IS a racquet drop which is a critical precursor to hitting up at the ball. However, the racquet doesn’t drop near the center of the player’s back – it’s off to the side. Why don’t you try it yourself and see whether it’s easier to hit up at the ball when you’ve dropped the racquet head near the center of your back versus parallel to the side of your body? I think you’ll notice the difference pretty easily. FuzzyYellowBalls is the best free site that I know of, but hi-techtennis.com is definitely worth the $49 subscription for a year if you’re serious about improving. You’d be paying a private coach more than that for a single session, so why not?

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It’s the filming angle that’s making it look like > the “back scratch” is towards the middle of the > back. That’s not what really happens. If you look > carefully, there IS a racquet drop which is a > critical precursor to hitting up at the ball. > However, the racquet doesn’t drop near the center > of the player’s back – it’s off to the side. Why > don’t you try it yourself and see whether it’s > easier to hit up at the ball when you’ve dropped > the racquet head near the center of your back > versus parallel to the side of your body? I think > you’ll notice the difference pretty easily. I see what you are saying. I did get to play last night with my brother (who is pretty good) and did have success hitting up on the serves. My first serves were still terrible, but second serves were diving down into the box. I will keep working on it. > > FuzzyYellowBalls is the best free site that I know > of, but hi-techtennis.com is definitely worth the > $49 subscription for a year if you’re serious > about improving. You’d be paying a private coach > more than that for a single session, so why not? I am waiting to see if I will have people around me to play or a league to join. If I don’t then I am afraid this will flame out. I will take all I can from the free website and then go from there. It seems like I have about 10 years worth of stuff to work on right now!

So tonight sucked. I went to a “drill night” at my local tennis center. I wasn’t more than 5 mins in and totally messed up my wrist on a topspin forehand. It is really hurting at this point. The pain is coming from the ulnar side (opposite side of the thumb) near the big bumped out wrist bone. Any tennis nuts know about this? Could this be a UT problem? It is no doubt from faulty technique with a strong grip (semi-weastern or western).

^ Maybe you had a hairline fracture there that you aggravated? In 15 years of playing tennis i’ve never had a pain like that. Had some wicked tennis elbow though.

Surgery needed. Tore some tissue that holds the Extensor Carpi Ulnaris tendon in place. Leads to ECU tendon subluxation. There goes the whole summer.

mwvt9 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Surgery need. > > Tore some tissue that hold the Extensor Carpi > Ulnaris tendon in place. Leads to ECU tendon > subluxation. > > There goes the whole summer. Jesus, sorry to hear that. Maybe practice on the wii? Only half joking.

ASSet_MANagement Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mwvt9 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Surgery need. > > > > Tore some tissue that hold the Extensor Carpi > > Ulnaris tendon in place. Leads to ECU tendon > > subluxation. > > > > There goes the whole summer. > > > Jesus, sorry to hear that. Maybe practice on the > wii? > > > Only half joking. I play my 4 year old on the Wii all the time. Didn’t help.

Cannot wait to play some tennis tonight. L2 kicked my ass so I am going to take my anger out on that tennis ball.

Warm up properly or end up like me…

mwvt9 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Surgery needed. > > Tore some tissue that holds the Extensor Carpi > Ulnaris tendon in place. Leads to ECU tendon > subluxation. > > There goes the whole summer. That sucks. Maybe you can learn to play with your off hand. Really blow your opponent’s mind next year when you hit with either hand.

higgmond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > That sucks. Maybe you can learn to play with your > off hand. Really blow your opponent’s mind next > year when you hit with either hand. Yeah. Nothing but forehands… Edit: BTW, how have you been higgmond? Haven’t talked since last year at L3

mwvt9 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Edit: BTW, how have you been higgmond? Haven’t > talked since last year at L3 Doing well, thanks for asking. Thought I was going to be rolling in free time this year that I could use to get my golf game in order, but a baby on the way and new house that needs a little work put an end to that idea. Used to have 10 or 11 rounds in at this point in the season when I was studing and this year I’ve only played 9 HOLES. Still better than studying again though.

Congrats on the new baby and house! My third boy will be here this fall. I haven’t been able to play much either. I think I have 27 holes at this point. I am going to get in 27 more before I have this surgery though. Oddly, the golf game doesn’t aggravate it all all, but tennis and turning my car keys in the ignition does. There is never enough time for golf, even with the CFA done.

mwvt9 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Congrats on the new baby and house! My third boy > will be here this fall. > > I haven’t been able to play much either. I think > I have 27 holes at this point. I am going to get > in 27 more before I have this surgery though. > Oddly, the golf game doesn’t aggravate it all all, > but tennis and turning my car keys in the ignition > does. > > There is never enough time for golf, even with the > CFA done. Congrats right back. Mine is a girl and will also be here in the fall. She will be our long-awaited first.

Just got out of surgery. Waitin for pain pills to arrive.

fell better mwvt9, that really blows. I don’t know what i would do if i had to do surgery that would sideline my volleyball /tennis/basketball games

Well, I can tell you that typing this message sucks. I don’t know what I am going to do for the next 12 week (only 6 in the cast thing). Maybe I will come back with a Roddick like serve due to an overly tight tendon?