Learning Tennis

mwvt9 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Maybe I will come back with a Roddick like serve > due to an overly tight tendon? Or maybe pitch for the Pirates. Oh wait, just about anybody can do that.

I don’t want to be affiliated with the Pirates in any form.

Is anyone here watching the Isner-Mahut match at Wimbledon? They’re tied 41-41 in the fifth set…longest match in history!! CRAZY!!!

This match is crazy. 46-46. Can Isner serve 100 aces in a match?

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/tennis/livematch/380703.html 49-48

50-50. 145 total games played so far.

In the fifth set alone, they have played an equivalent of almost 8 extra (7-6 sets), plus the four already completed. Ridiculous. So a total of 12 sets.

It’s a shame that whoever wins probably won’t be out of the hospital intime for his next match.

The winner played De Bakker who won 16-14 in the fifth set. He is probably loving this.

53-53

Hey thommo77 – need your advice on tennis racquet selection. As a way of background, for most of the last couple years, I have been hitting with the Pro Kennex Redondo 93 or the Power Bridge 10 mid. Both of these weigh 12.1 ounces strung, are about 10+ pts. head light, and have a 93 square inch head. I have always enjoyed racquets with smaller head size – my style of game is based on precision and using a lot of variety in my shots, while looking for opportunities to close points out at the net early and often. However, I’ve lately started to think that these racquets might be too heavy for me at least based on my level of conditioning nowadays. In my last few matches, I started wearing down in the beginning of the third set. My biggest weakness in my game right now is my footwork and that’s most evident in recovering from shots. Perhaps a lighter racquet would enable me to off-set some of the weak footwork by giving me a faster takeback. Serves can also be an issue late in a three-set match for me too as I actually feel my racquet head speed is slowing down. Anyway, It’s hard to know how much of these issues are due to the racquet versus due to my own physical conditioning, but maybe it doesn’t really matter what the cause is – my body feels tired any way you look at it. Anyway, I want to get your opinion on a few things: - I regularly see guys at my level (NTRP 4.5-5.0) hitting with racquets like mine, but also several that are using racquets that are more in the 11-11.5 ounce range strung. I think they’re giving up some swingweight and control by going to lighter racquets, but it also looks like they can handle these racquets well because they get higher swingspeed out of them. I think you’d mentioned in another thread that you were using something that was within that range with a 98-100 square inch head size. How did you decide on that kind of racquet versus a heavier racquet with smaller head size, and what advice would you give me as I contemplate moving to a lighter racquet? - If you were in my shoes, would you be more likely to continue hitting with my current frames since I’ve been using them for so long, or would you consider a lighter frame because of overall fitness level? - Any other advice regarding racquet head selection given my circumstances and level of play? Do I sound like I’m putting too much blame on the racquet (instead of blaming the player, i.e. myself) or do I have good reasons to revisit my choice of equipment? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

One more question – when and if you’ve encountered similar situations in the past, how much of it do you feel was due to the racquet versus your overall fitness level? Ultimately, I’m committed to doing some extra conditioning, but generally going to the gym beyond my 2-3x week of tennis hitting isn’t that much of a priority for me these days. I’m not looking to be a pro player or whatever, but I’m wondering if my time is better invested in getting acclimated to a new racquet versus just spending time doing more cross training if I’m just hoping to maintain my current level of play.

BTW Isner up to 95 aces. Numi, I have moved to a lighter racquet as I have aged and transitioned into more of a part-time player. I would try a few lighter racquets because I think you will find the lack of control and precision is not as bad as you think it is. I think what you need is a lighter racquet, but keep with the small head size so that you do not entirely lose your precision and control. I have found that I need the extra power of a lighter racquet as opposed to the increased control and precision of a heavier racquet. This is mainly because I am getting older and my fitness level is not the same as it was when I was a full-time tennis player. Thus, the lighter racquets help me in this regard. In terms of choosing a racquet, it is personal preference. I have used predominantely Wilson and I have found this brand to be excellent, although I liked the Nadal Babolat racquet when I played with it a couple of months ago. I don’t think you are putting too much blame on the racquet. The best way to find out is to sample some different sticks and see what works.

Can some one explain, how is it an ace, if other person doesn’t even try to get the ball because they are so exhausted… boy…

Hey, i play with Nadal’s babolat, but i want to switch to HL raquet to get a faster head movement

Match is only a few minutes away from being suspended for darkness according to Yahoo.

Tennis fans… Any recommendations on rackets for beginner-intermediate (~3.5)? I think a sub-$100 racket should be good enough. Brands: Head - thoughts on the old Liquidmetal line Wilson - K factor? Oversize - 100+ *Easy on the arm* mwvt9, I hope you get back on the court soon. Thanks!

Willson ProStaff 6.0 85 You will thank me later

cfaatsb Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Tennis fans… > Any recommendations on rackets for > beginner-intermediate (~3.5)? > I think a sub-$100 racket should be good enough. > > Brands: > Head - thoughts on the old Liquidmetal line > Wilson - K factor? > > Oversize - 100+ > > *Easy on the arm* > > mwvt9, I hope you get back on the court soon. > > Thanks! cfaatsb, I get inquiries like yours from my friends that are of similar skill level to you (3.5ish). A general rule of thumb is to pick the heaviest racquet that you can comfortably swing for a three-set match. You might want to take a look at the post I made above when I was asking thommo77 for his feedback; you can see how I analyze what the “best fit racquet” for me is. http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?31,1151941,1175565#msg-1175565 The reason you want to pick the heaviest racquet you can comfortably swing is for maneuverability and game-improvement reasons. A racket that’s oversized or too head heavy won’t be maneuverable enough and won’t force you to improve your stroke technique; you’re really relying too much on the swingweight of the racquet to do your work for you, plus oversized racquets tend to be balanced towards the head which makes them more difficult to handle. For you, I’d recommend something around 100 square inches and between 10.6-11.3 ounces strung. Pick a racquet that’s at least even balance, but preferably 2-5 points head light. You’ll be able to grow with a racquet like this, and a decent racquet is worth a good investment. I suggest you demo the racquets first before you buy, however, so you can pick one that feels best. You really don’t want to go above 100 square inches because that’s when you get into the oversized category. In terms of feel, Yonex and Volkl racquets tend to be more flexible; Prince, Head, Dunlop and Yonex are middle of the road; and Wilson and Babolat tend to be stiffest. Check this link out for more detail: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/SelectingRacquet/SelectingRacquet.html

I was a nationally ranked junior and played at The University of Arizona. I played some satellites, but i was too burned out by then so I hung em up and now I play golf. For me, it really depends on how you learn. Watching? Someone telling you? Someone actually physically helping you with the stroke? Take that and form a plan of action. Instructors can be expensive and I agree with the person that mentioned that it could be a waste of time because as a beginner, they want you to ‘have fun.’ I would get your hands on a ball machine and video tape yourself. Make adjustments, work on a weakness. In regards to training, I’m sure there are some good youtubes out there on tips and plenty of books. Then, when you starting getting things down, go on Craigslist and find some people to hit with. I would avoid trying to play points, just do rallying games (down the line, cross court, net stuff). I think the serve is the easiest thing to work on and improve. Make sure you have the correct grip and just hit…hit like crazy. Adjust your toss, grip, etc…just don’t hit the flat/pancake grip! rant/over