Least Douchey Luxury Sedan

The IS 250 uses a carry over engine and an old powertrain. It is significantly slower and less fuel efficient than its competition. If you are looking for a car with old technology and whose sporty appearance, particularly in F-Sport trim, is not backed by performance, than this is the car for you. Many people are hoping that Lexus will update the engine on the IS 250 for the mid cycle refresh.

Do not get a matte paint job unless you have a very expensive car, like a C63 Black Series or something. Otherwise, you just spent a bunch of money on paint, instead of on a better car.

yea the reviews on the IS are not good.

IS is just a fancy Corolla.

I second the Jag XF recommendation.

All the bros in BK used to drive x6/m series/ range rovers. I dedicated an entire thread to car shopping and ended going with an audi, but then again some probably would consider me a douche. I understand where you are coming from, you want to spend some of the money you are making but you dont want to come across as “that guy”. My opinion, if you are going to spend decent money on a nice car, you might as well own the situation and buy something with great performance and an appeal of luxury at the same time without worrying about others who have asscoiated themselves with the car. Long story short, in every brand you will find a douche so due your due dligence and when people bring up the fact that you are making money, address the comment in a humble manner but don’t shy away from the fact that you are doing well, for financial success is an accomplishment and you should be proud of it.

Dueche…but yes Audi all the way.

this line of thinking applies well when dealing with a jabroni off the street. my issue is more about the principles of my company. i am lined up to become a partner in the not too distant future, which means that EVERY decision I make is scrutinized. conservatism and sober decision-making are obviously important in a buy-side shop. So I need to show a little conservatism, but don’t want to settle for a Camry. need to walk that fine line.

but i totally agree as it relates to the general population.

Ok Ramos, I see… We are now calling each other out on grammatical errors? Ok playboy, game on. I’m in the office today if you want to grab lunch.

TF – good luck, I am not good at navigating these political situations.

I would not say that the Lexus IS is a fancy Corolla. Fundamentally, the two cars are very different. The new IS is a RWD sedan based on a shrunken version of the new GS platform. The Corolla is based on a Toyota multi purpose FWD platform. The IS does not share its architecture with any Toyota product, unlike say, the ES, which is basically a fancier Toyota Avalon.

It might be reasonable to say that the IS 250 is the “Corolla of sports sedans”, as both cars follow the same marketing and design philosophy within their respective classes. Both cars use outdated powertrains to lower production costs, but sell reasonably well by relying mostly on brand reputation. Both cars are positioned near bottom of their model lineups in terms of price, and thus, serve as a relatively low cost entry point to their respective brands.

It would be more appropriate to say that the Audi A4, and other Audi products, are fancy Volkswagens. The A4 is based on a version of the platform from the Volkswagen Jetta, Passat, and other models. The A3 and TT are based on the same platform as the Volkswagen Golf and Beetle. This is why, Audi’s base cars are FWD, rather than RWD like its competitors. Of course, these platforms are quite flexible and can be used to produce many kinds of cars.

The IS 350 is a significantly better car than the IS 250, as the more expensive car has a much more powerful engine and a more advanced, eight speed transmission. Unlike the IS 250, the IS 350 has the performance appropriate to its appearance and the limits of its chassis. Interestingly, the benchmark for the IS 350 was the previous generation BMW 335i. The 3 Series became softer and bigger in the most current model generation. This disappointed customers who liked the sporty character of the older model. In response, Lexus essentially recreated the older 3 Series, but with updated technology. It might be worth noting, though, that most reviewers still regard the 3 Series powertrain (engine + gear box) as being superior to that of the Lexus.

Do not buy a Jaguar XF unless you enjoy regular trips to the Jaguar service department.

less douchy and still luxury? go with a lexus

jk nig

I’ve long admired the Infinty M class/series, although I have never actually driven one. Less flashy than European sedans and with Nissan reliability. Note, I was a long-time European sedan owner until very recently, so I have nothing against them. If I were going to stay Euro, I’d likely go with an Audi A6 or A7.

A buddy of mine and I have talked for years about going in on an old beater for $500 or $600 each, but neither wife will allow it on “her” property.

just start piling up junk in the garage/back yard (if you have them) and mention the fact that it would be so easy to get rid of if you had a truck to haul it away. drop hints whenever the situation calls for one - they should be abundant.

is is for chicks and small dudes, gotta go gs or higher

agreed.

Lexus and Acura (aka Toyota and Honda) = less douchey.

Audi and Volvo = more douchey.

Mercedes and BMW = most douchey.

Bentley and rolls Royce = extreme vanity.

I think you guys are equating douchey with expensive.

Higg, I also plan to buy a rusted out crappy pick up you can fix with bubble gum. Perfect for driving around either Philly’s mean street or my rural homeland.

What’s the difference between the Lexus GS and ES? They seem to occupy the same midsize luxury tier, but the GS is a smaller vehicle, and yet it is more expensive. Confusing.

Agreed. I think the key to not being a douche is subtle luxury. If you have a flashy exterior, but the engine and interior are trash - you’re a douche. If the interior and the engine are on par with the exterior than it’s not douchey - no matter the expense. It’s obnoxious to have the smallest/cheapest car of a luxury brand and put new rims on it, but seats are cloth. I would rather have a fully loaded midsized car than almost any entry model of the more well known brands.

Personal situation and motives for buying the car also matter, not just the car itself. If you live paycheck to paycheck but lease a Porsche, you are probably a douche, no matter how good the car is.

GS is positioned as more sporty, 5-series competitor. RWD standard. ES is softer (camry based, or at least it used to be, not sure if it still is). FWD standard. Sizewise I think they are similar.