Less women on wall street - what's going on?

ASS_MAN, Go tell her how you feel… You’ll likely get a raise…and then maybe an increase in salary/bonus. :slight_smile:

ASSet_MANagement Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > SheFA, > > Hi. Are you stalking me? lol

Inner Evil Voice Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ASSet_MANagement Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > SheFA, > > > > Hi. Are you stalking me? > > lol Didn’t work, though.

SheFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^ > Ahh, didn’t mean to hurt your feelings, Bromion. No hurt feelings, I was just disappointed that you’re obviously here to spout tired rhetoric with a thinly veiled agenda. You come here asking for the “honest views” of men who work in the business and then throw a temper tantrum when you don’t like the responses you get, going so far as to twist words out of context in order to make personal attacks. Obviously, you have some bitterness and frustration about your lot in life. It’s tacky. But also funny (thanks for that). > I just thought it was an interesting example of > discrimination by your employer. Do you work on Wall St.? There is a lot of money on the line. It’s not unreasonable for an employer to want to put together the best and most effective team, particularly if they are risking hundreds of millions of dollars of their own capital. Some people believe that women have no place on that sort of team, because employing women changes the work place dynamics, often unfavorably. It’s much harder for a man to yell at a woman than vice versa, for example. You don’t have to like it. > But now I am inclined to believe you actually > think that the cry factor and the logic factor are > appropriate reasons not to hire women. I do, you’re right. > Maybe I actually would like to hurt your feelings just a > little bit now. That’s kind of hot. Do you happen to live in the Bay Area, by chance?

SheFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > @Asset M: And here is the CRUX of the debate. If a > woman gets snappy at a dude, BOTH SIDES get > emotional. > > Just because I would like to hurt bromion a little > doesn’t mean I’m being emotional. :slight_smile: > > @krnyc2008 - Yeah I too thought he was smart. He > probably is. Maybe he needs some more exposure to, > you know, women. > > There, I hurt him a little. You’re feisty! A/S/L

krnyc2008 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > bromion Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > or you > > have poor logical reasoning skills, which is > often > > true for women > > You actually believe that?! Hmm and you seemed > intelligent to me… No, but I enjoy riling our OP. It’s working! I do think girls tend to be more emotional though, which often clouds their judgment.

brain_wash_your_face Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Inner Evil Voice Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > ASSet_MANagement Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > SheFA, > > > > > > Hi. Are you stalking me? > > > > lol > > Didn’t work, though. Haha - we don’t know if it worked yet. The weekend is just beginning. This lady is feisty. I like how she tried to flip it and say she ‘hurt’ bromion a little. Clearly she didn’t, but the effort was solid. SheFA, I hope you stick around. I also think women are generally more emotional then men. They’re also hotter.

SheFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I don’t get it. > Women, what are your thoughts? Wall street guys, > what is your honest view? > To the wall street women on here: would you > recommend a career on wall street? > > > The statistics: > > In the past 10 years, 2.6% of female workers in > finance, left the industry. The ranks of men grew > by 9.6%. > > The number of women between aged 20-35 dropped by > 16.5%, while the number of men in that age range > grew by 7.3%. > > The number of women entering finance-industry jobs > at age 20 to 24 fell 21.8% over the past decade. > > http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100014240527487048 > 58304575498071732136704.html?mod=googlenews_wsj these numbers make my head hurt (twists hair, looks up to the right, pull’s up people.com)

I still believe that there’s no gender discrimination is finance! There are so many girls in accounting, corporate finance, and legal roles! BUT, Capital markets, is just not a girl thing, career in capital markets is for people hungry for money and power who love the kick in risk taking, women are more focused towards making a good stable career! and I am sure now, that you’ll do very well in SEC, you probably have a solid grad degree! on the positive note, you can put those HF dudes in jail, isn’t that cool!

bromion Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > krnyc2008 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > bromion Wrote: > > ! > > I do think girls tend to be more emotional though, > which often clouds their judgment. Agree… Although it varies by individual… Plus from my observation, girls who chose finance career tend to be more level headed to begin with.

SheFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Haha, you can stop sucking up now Asset_M. I am > not your boss. > > Bernanke - Huh? Did you just want me to google > “sec women”? Impressive melons, those. i think im in <3 do you play hockey by any chance?

As much as I love being the center of attention, let’s get back to the question, shall we? I will try real hard not to be a scary feminist. To substantiate that, allow me to remark that I personally have not noticed any sex-based discrimination in the finance sector. I am not US based. I have seen foreign applicants been moved to the bottom of application piles however, with e.g. Harvard + CFA credentials getting trumped by local misfits. But that’s another thread for another day I guess.

SheFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > As much as I love being the center of attention, > let’s get back to the question, shall we? (yawn) > I will try real hard not to be a scary feminist. > To substantiate that, allow me to remark that I > personally have not noticed any sex-based > discrimination in the finance sector. I am not US > based. clearly not US based or you would have sue’d someone already > I have seen foreign applicants been moved to the > bottom of application piles however, with e.g. > Harvard + CFA credentials getting trumped by local > misfits. But that’s another thread for another day > I guess. politics as usual what’s this thread about again? melons?

bromion Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > SheFA Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > Do you happen to live in the > Bay Area, by chance? non-shaver = dealbreaker

mar350 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > what’s this thread about again? melons? +1. I don’t know why some women think life’s that complex. Just buy a pair of those SEC melons and you’re set for life.

^ That’s what i thought! Not so though. XOXO Debrahlee

Men are emotional too, just in different ways. Most people who buy sports cars are male.

bromion Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Serious response here, even though I know that > isn’t as much fun. I think there are a few > reasons: > > 1) Discrimination is real > 2) Finance is a pretty solitary activity relative > to some other careers (for example, there is very > little peer interaction in research), and most > women seem to like more social interaction in > their jobs > 3) It’s easier to make a girl cry, so there are > cultural issues at some firms. The place I work > doesn’t hire girls, for example, because they > would probably cry all the time (I’ve seen some of > the dudes cry as well, so that isn’t supposed to > be a sexist comment, it’s just a brutal place to > work). Nobody wants to make a girl cry. > 4) Hard to get into the industry, hard to get back > in if you exit. The mom factor. Well summarized although I disagree about the crying.

In any case it’s less than 90 years ago that women were allowed to vote in my country, and not all that many years ago (in the perspective of changing a macho culture) that married women finally achieved the right to work, get an education or to decide over their own money. Things like that still spill over into our day and age. There are still people around who were born in a time when women still didn’t have the right to vote, let alone get a degree so they could go work on Wall Street. (I’m in the EU.)

Also, it should be “Fewer women”, not “Less women on Wall Street”.