LGA to Manhattan

I’ve seen several posts about what to do in NYC; however, this one is about transportation into NYC. My wife and I will be flying into NYC (LGA) and need to get to 48th St/8th Ave. The Port Authority Bus Terminal (PABT) is 6 blocks south on 42nd St/8th Ave. Is it stupid to take the NY Airport Service from LGA to the PABT and then haul our suitcases 6 blocks north to our hotel? That service is $42 TOTAL, round-trip. There’s another service we can book that drops off right at the hotel for $88 TOTAL, round-trip. Is there a better way to do this?

No, not stupid at all. You can walk six blocks with your cases in about five minutes. Plus, you’ll get to experience the hustle and bustle of midtown. Not your thing? Well, you should still do it – if you think it’s too hectic, just imagine what it’s like to drive through that place. It is mayhem and you might as well save your money and walk the extra six blocks. You might even get there faster if you take airport service!!

The airport services schedule has a total ride time of about 50 minutes. Whereas, if we booked through the hotel, they said anywhere between 60-90 minutes! Is your experience that those buses (through the PABT) are on time?

I have never taken the bus from the airport (I have an apartment in New York and prefer cabs from LaGuardia) but I have heard that the shuttles are pretty timely. Let’s put it this way – you don’t run any less of a risk of being late if you take any other type of transportation into midtown Manhattan. You will be sitting in traffic either way so you might as well just save your $46, use the Airport Shuttle, and take your wife on a nice lunch. Restaurant Row as well as a number of other good restaurants are right in your neighborhood.

Thank you Numi!

You have 2 people so definitely just grab a cab. LGA to midtown in a cab doesn’t cost that much money. I’d guess $20 at most.

Actually, I agree with virginCFAhooker - since you have two people, you’re better off just cabbing it (I was reading your question too literally, thinking that you only wanted to take the airport shuttle or the hotel shuttle). Cabs with tip will run you $25-30 each way but unless you’re really tight on money, it might save you the most hassle. I would either go with the airport shuttle or the cab and nothing else, though.

Tell the cab to take the 59th street bridge (it’s free, or it used to be?)

From JFK to ANYWHERE in Manhattan is flat $45 (excluding tolls & tips) . So from LGA it should be around the same.

anishcandy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > From JFK to ANYWHERE in Manhattan is flat $45 > (excluding tolls & tips) . So from LGA it should > be around the same. Typically LGA will be a decent amount cheaper than JFK. I’ll echo Numi’s quote of ~$30. It costs me about 24-26 from the upper east side. Definitely take a cab, much more relaxing.

A taxi LGA to 8th ave will run you about $45 total. Do that. I took it to 2nd ave in midtown yesterday and it was $35 after tip.

I live in the general vicinity, it’s closer to $35-40 with tip to get to West Midtown by taxi. The shuttle bus from LaGuardia to PA is convenient, but carrying luggage from PA to your hotel is not. First of all PA is always crowded and takes a while to get out of, especially if you don’t know your way around. Then the area around 42nd and 8th is also always crowded and carrying luggage around there is a nightmare. I would go with a taxi unless you’re really strained on cash.

I would take the cab at well. Lived and worked here all my life. Just to give you all your options, you can take a local bus from LGA to manhatten. Then take the C train down to 50th and 8th. It will most likely take you longer – unless there is a sick amount of traffic-- and will be a hassle going up and down subway steps. But both of you can do this for $4. But again…cab would be the way to go.

Thank you for all your information! I’m looking forward to seeing the big city!

recentcornellgrad Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I would take the cab at well. Lived and worked > here all my life. Just to give you all your > options, you can take a local bus from LGA to > manhatten. Then take the C train down to 50th and > 8th. It will most likely take you longer – > unless there is a sick amount of traffic-- and > will be a hassle going up and down subway steps. > But both of you can do this for $4. But > again…cab would be the way to go. So eventhough the PABT is 6 blocks from our hotel, you recommend taking the C train from the PABT to 50th/8th and then walking 2 blocks?

Don’t take a subway in August, especially with luggage.

No, he’s talking about taking the M60 bus from LGA, through Harlem, to Columbia University on 116th/Broadway and then taking the C from Columbia to 50th St. I wouldn’t recommend it unless you had 4 hours to kill. BTW, it’s spelled “Manhattan.”

oh right i forgot to ask about transportation. any suggestions on Newark to Manhattan? I was going to find some form of public transportation. But haven’t really looked into it yet.

Also a shuttle bus to Port Authority, Penn Station, and Grand Central. I think it’s somewhere in the neighborhood of $13-15 per person. Or you could take the NJ Transit train which requires some sort of transfer that I am not familiar with.

I booked (last night) the NY Airport Service from LGA to PABT. Round-trip for 2 people it was a total of $42!