LIFO Reserve Adjustments

One thing I never gained a full understanding for during my level II prep last year was LIFO reserve. Correct me if I’m wrong but the LIFO reserve is the extra amount of ending inventory that a company would report if they used the FIFO inventory valuation method instead of LIFO. In other words, the LIFO Reserve = FIFO Ending Inventory - LIFO Ending Inventory. So in order to adjust a LIFO company’s inventory to FIFO, one simply has to add the LIFO reserve to inventory.

The thing I never fully understood, instead I just memorized, was the adjustment made to COGS. So my question is:

Why do you subtract the year over year change in the LIFO reserve from COGS when converting from LIFO COGS to FIFO COGS?

When converting from LIFO to FIFO, the thinking is that you’re trying to create the financial statements (balance sheet and income statement, primarily) as they would have looked _ had the company been using FIFO all along _. Thus, the change to the (current) balance sheet would show the accumulation of all of the yearly LIFO reserve adjustments: the total LIFO reserve. The change to the (current) income statement would show only the LIFO reserve adjustment for the current year: the change in the LIFO reserve (the rest of the LIFO reserve having been shown on previous years’ income statements).

Yes! you are correct. FIFO EI = LIFO EI + LIFO reserve.

Why do you subtract the year over year change in the LIFO reserve from COGS when converting from LIFO COGS to FIFO COGS?

To answer this, let me just put here the screenshot of derivation provided in my ELan notes. Hope it does not constitute any violations.

[removed by admin: copyright]

This is because in an inflationary economy cost of good sold will have been lower under FIFO by the amount of increase in LIFO reserve.

Yes, hence its presence on the balance sheet and period end! Nice

Ahhhh, I forgot to keep in mind that the balance sheet is a point-in-time statement whereas the income statement reflects a particular period of time.

This clears it up perfectly. Thank you S2000magician!

And a huge thanks to all of you as well!!

All of your answers have been extremely helpful in my attempt to wrap my head around this concept.

My pleasure.