LIFO reserve and FIFO

is FIFO=LIFO+net change of LIFO reserve? what is the formula? under which condition there will be a inventory liquidition, and a LIFO or fifo will be use? Thanks.

FIFO = LIFO + LIFO reserve COGS (FIFO) = COGS(LIFO) - change in LIFO reserve About inventory liquidation have no idea…

inventory liquidation typically makes sense only if company is in LIFO mode. And an analyst must be particularly careful if he is in a rising price environment. In this mode – your older lower priced inventory would go into COGS --> which would artificially inflate your earnings (NI). CP

Inventory liquidation occurs when you are using LIFO and have a declining inventory balance. This will cause you to ‘tap into’ your old inventory that is sitting on the books at their original value causing you to severely reduce COGS. I hope this helps.

Is this right? FIFO CGS= LIFO CGS- change in LIFO reserve LIFO CGS=FIFO CGS + beginning inventory * company inflation? Also, I know the ratio effects of LIFO liquidation, but are there any kinds of calculations involved there?

I think that is Beg FIFO inv in the second formula and company inflation can be calculated as change in LIFO reserve divided by beg FIFO inv of a comparable company. Don’t have notes in front of me. Could someone confirm pls. -Amit

I only know it the way Bradleyz did it. Can we discuss LIFO liquidation while we are on the topic. How does the formula go?

I remember if there is a LIFO liquidation, then analyst need to do sth. is it change to FIFO? I forgot, anybody remember? Thanks. AFJunkie Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I only know it the way Bradleyz did it. > > Can we discuss LIFO liquidation while we are on > the topic. How does the formula go?

what LOS are we talking about, here?

in CFAI mock 5, q19, why use LIFO and have FIFO reserve will lead to an inventory higher? dose it imply a price drop invironment? if not, why I am missing? Thanks. SerGrey Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > FIFO = LIFO + LIFO reserve > > COGS (FIFO) = COGS(LIFO) - change in LIFO reserve > > About inventory liquidation have no idea…