lifo reserve

I saw a question in sample test 3 to do adjustment for financial statemetn for LIFO reserve. I put LIFO reserve to be added to ending inventory. Correct answer is LIFO reserve to be subtracted from cost of goods sold. Did I miss anything? I thought the adjustment is for ending inventory. No clue on what is question.

I think you mean “change in LIFO reserve to be subtracted from COGS”. From what I understand: FIFO Inventory = LIFO Inventory - Delta(LIFO Reserve)

actually: Inventory (FIFO) = Inventory (LIFO) + LIFO RESERVE COGS (FIFO) = COGS (LIFO) - Delta(LIFO RESERVE)

correct… my bad. thx Bluey easy marks… FATAL error. Atleast I won’t make it in the exam

And while you are at it, there are a couple more: NI (FIFO) = NI (LIFO) + Delta LIFO Reserve * (1-T) RE (FIFO) = RE (LIFO) + Ending LIFO Reserve * (1-T) CP

cpk123 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > And while you are at it, there are a couple more: > > > NI (FIFO) = NI (LIFO) + Delta LIFO Reserve * > (1-T) > RE (FIFO) = RE (LIFO) + Ending LIFO Reserve * > (1-T) > > > CP I get the NI part, but not the RE part, wouldnt RE be the same as NI?

no, remember RE is the combined effect of all past NI additions to the account. So now when company moves from LIFO to FIFO – entire change in the LIFO Reserve would have to be pushed in, because it is a cumulative effect.

Another way to remember that is simply that the change in equity balances the change in the asset, and it’s easy to remember how the asset changes.

thanks bsivia… i’ve always been wondering that, but never recalled reading it in the text