Lists

I was wondering if anyone actually memorized lists of items that can be part of an answer to a potential question. I am having hard time figuring out which lists to memorize and which ones to skip. Any comments? Thanks

So far from the past CFA papers (2009 & 2010) it seems that understanding the concepts is far more important than merely memorising the lists. I was concerned as you were but found the AM papers far less memory intensive than I expected.

2007 or 08 released essay question assumes candidate has memorized the 5 ips constraints.

I haven’t been proactive in memorizing lists, just pretty much trying to remember concepts. However, I don’t think it would be difficult to reproduce lists like IPS constraints (Liquidity, Taxes, Time Horizon, Legal/Regulatory issues, and Unique Circumstances) on a test. I mean we’ve probably all gone over that stuff about 6 times by now. I think if I understand a concept well enough, I should be able to come up with lists of things to back up my point of view.

FinNinja Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I haven’t been proactive in memorizing lists, just > pretty much trying to remember concepts. > > However, I don’t think it would be difficult to > reproduce lists like IPS constraints (Liquidity, > Taxes, Time Horizon, Legal/Regulatory issues, and > Unique Circumstances) on a test. I mean we’ve > probably all gone over that stuff about 6 times by > now. > > I think if I understand a concept well enough, I > should be able to come up with lists of things to > back up my point of view. I agree. I’ve done enough IPS questions where the setup is practically automatic at this point.