London riots

I would imagine guns would play a greater role in America at these riots… Drink up me hearties yoho

Alladin Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I would imagine guns would play a greater role in > America at these riots… > Drink up me hearties yoho Riots in the US rarely involve significant gun use by the rioters. They throw rocks, turn over cars, loot, and set things on fire same as everyone else. There’s no need to shot anyone to loot and they know shooting at the police is not going to end well for them.

Yeah, you don’t want to bring guns to a protest. The other side is gonna have better ones, more of them, and you just gave them a reason to use them.

Having grown up in the country I would guess in the US firearms could factor into home and property security by the 2nd or third night as citizens began to take their own measures. Also, gun ownership has been higher among upper class rather than thug types in my experience.

Yeah, anyone remember LA in '92? There were plenty of guns involved there.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Having grown up in the country I would guess in > the US firearms could factor into home and > property security by the 2nd or third night as > citizens began to take their own measures. Also, > gun ownership has been higher among upper class > rather than thug types in my experience. That’s certainly not my experience. Firearm ownership is basically requisite for any thug, even in the Canadian city I grew up in.

99 cannon sloop Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > These kinds of riots are unthinkable in America. > Although there were those LA riots in 1992 or so, > but those are very rare. I personally think that’s > fine. People shouldn’t start mayhem and destroy > people’s livelihoods out of foppery and whim and > should get duly punished by force if they take > that route. I was heartbroken after seeing a > picture of a barbershop run by an elderly 89 year > old man getting destroyed by the rioters. > > There’s a fuzzy line between that and oppression > though. To name a few… 13 July 1977, New York City, USA 8 May 1980, Miami, Florida, USA 5-7 May 1991, Washington, DC 19 August 1991, New York City, USA 29 April 1992, Los Angeles, California, USA 10 April 2001, Cincinnati, Ohio, US 16 June 2003, Benton Harbor, Michigan 15 October 2005, Toledo, Ohio, USA

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Having grown up in the country I would guess in > the US firearms could factor into home and > property security by the 2nd or third night as > citizens began to take their own measures. Also, > gun ownership has been higher among upper class > rather than thug types in my experience. By “upper class” you mean white-collared thugs with money?

cue : the theme from godfather

Sweep the Leg Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yeah, anyone remember LA in '92? There were > plenty of guns involved there. Kind of hard to distinguish between riot-related gun activity and normal everyday gun activity in LA.

Riots claim their first victims. LONDON: The riots in England claimed South Asian victims on Wednesday when three young men of Pakistani origin were killed in a “deliberate” hit-and-run incident in the country’s second biggest city of Birmingham. While retailers of Indian origin were attacked in Birmingham, in the west London suburb of Southall, home to a large number of Sikh migrants, scores of men armed with swords and hockey sticks guarded their gurdwaras through the night. One of them said: “We’ll take the law into our hands, bad luck.” Although an uneasy calm returned to London, looting and arson continued in other English cities. A number of Indians suffered when their shops and properties were damaged by violent young men roaming the streets. An angry crowd of Pakistani residents gathered outside a Birmingham hospital where the victims were taken in a bid to save their lives. Suspecting that the three men were intentionally run over and killed, the police ordered a homicide probe into the deaths. A 35-year-old man was arrested and a vehicle seized. It is believed that the three men were protecting a mosque from hooligans who went on a looting spree in the central parts of the city. A police spokesman said: “West Midlands police have launched a murder inquiry and arrested a man. They have recovered a vehicle which will be examined by forensics experts.” Two of the victims were identified as Shahzad and Harry Hussain. They breathed their last at the hospital soon after being admitted at 1.15 am. A third man, who was also in critical condition, was pronounced dead five hours later. According to the Birmingham Mail newspaper, the deceased had confronted the troublemakers. Indian retailers were targeted in Birmingham. Dhillon Catering, an enterprise owned by a Sikh family, was broken into by rioters. Its delivery van was set on fire. A family of Indian origin was rendered homeless after their house was gutted by arsonists at Croydon in south London. A woman and her son lost everything except their mobile phones. In Leicester, which has a high concentration of people of Indian descent, shops and restaurants were attacked, windows smashed. Two businesses run by Indians were looted. Among those keeping vigil at Southall gurdwaras were elderly Sikhs - some in their 80s. Reports suggested that every gurdwara in Southall was protected by around 200 men. A large number of Sikhs came out on the streets with sticks and metal bars in West Bromwich to save their place of worship from rioters. Devotees at one of the largest Sikh temples in London’s Havelock Road telephoned young people for help. Across the country, the police arrested around 1,200 people, including 800 in London, since the violence broke out on Saturday. London courts worked through the night to process all those charged.