Longevity of CFA value

In Businessweek Jack Welch recently wrote, “The impact of an MBA is really only good for a year or so.” Can the same be said about the CFA program? Is there a limited time period after completing the CFA exams during which the CFA program offers substantially more value?

no i think you are all clear… see below. In an anonymous blog, poster MFE recently wrote “The impact of the CFA can be good for generations of the charterholder.”

Well, the value of the MBA is most important in that first year or so because it gives you a “clean slate” and allows you to switch careers and/or jump a level or two. I don’t see the value of the CFA declining with time as it is something that is becoming more of a prerequisite for most IM jobs.

so i’ll be able to hand it down to my kids? awesome!

I don’t think Jack is right here. The network you built while you were at your B-school will make an impact throughout your whole career

I am afraid that if the pass rate do not go down pretty soon, there will be so many people who will have CFA charter that it will be just another investment exam.

nickj Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am afraid that if the pass rate do not go down > pretty soon, there will be so many people who will > have CFA charter that it will be just another > investment exam. The pass rates are low, and they don’t need to go down further. I think, and this is just my opinion, that a major (inevitable) depression in the capital markets, layoffs, boring to negative returns, will send the industry back to normalcy, instead of the front page bull, volatile news it’s become in the last couple of years. When this happens, I think you’ll see a major drop in candidates, as other industries will cycle into their buillish trend, i.e., medicine, law, technology. I think actually that a major drop in candidates will increase the pass rate. But for now, remember that only 1 and 5 who start the program, actually finish with the designation. This is a fact.

when you’re older, an mba is just a check in the box - the school does not matter too much, as long as it’s a tier 1 or 2.

Charter holders ALWAYS want the pass rates lower, Canadidate ALWAYS want the pass rate higher. Willy

WillyR Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Charter holders ALWAYS want the pass rates lower, > Canadidate ALWAYS want the pass rate higher. > > Willy I never cared what the pass rate was as long as *I* passed.

not always…

XSellSide Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > WillyR Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Charter holders ALWAYS want the pass rates > lower, > > Canadidate ALWAYS want the pass rate higher. > > > > Willy > > I never cared what the pass rate was as long as > *I* passed. same, i would actually prefer it to be lower, it gives me the impression that im better than others, haha