Looking for a master program as a CFA candidate

I’m a last year undergrad and just did the CFA L1 exam in feb(hopefully i’ll pass), and now my new target is applying for a master program. I was wondering if i study master finance, would it be still useful or are there any master programs (other than finance) that can compliment my study of CFA,. Thank you!

I strongly recommend that you spend at least five years in full-time work before you think about getting an MBA. For one thing, much of the benefit of graduate education is students in classroom discussions and group project sharing their full-time work experiences; if you don’t have anything to share, that will become plain very quickly. For another, you’ll get much, much more out of a good MBA program if you have some real-world experience to relate it to. Moreover, very few top-tier MBA programs will accept you if you’re coming straight out of an undergraduate program.

3 Likes

I entered an MBA program in 1987 after 10 years as a stockbroker. Most classes on investments. Not sure I could have passed without that. 3 up 3 down.

Not five years, finish the CFA and aim for a top 5 school with 2-3 years exp. Use that time for extra-curriculars, charity, and your own portfolio etc. to show yourself as an all-rounder.

Asset mgt, Big Bank, Hedge fund are all good post MBA objectives.

The limit for MBA is essentially 28, unless you want to do your own business post-MBA and are using the school as an incubator.

Remember the MBA is not a management program, nobody can teach you to be a manager/ leader. Its just a conduit to get you to some of these places.

Hope you will do your best!) I have level 2 of CFA and entered the MBA program, but I honestly regretted it, this specialty will not give me fully what I need, the best option would be MSc Economics, but I do not know all the details, so I will not say for sure what to choose, I just shared my experience