looking the part for newbies

right. i am an expert in this field. buy the BEST suit you can afford and then, this is key, get it tailored to fit you. the leg, for example, should have 1 break before falling onto the shoe. the hem should be have tape to prevent fraying and add weight and should be slightly longer at the back then at the front. it is MUCH easier to look great in a suit if you are tall (over 6tft) and not fat. 2. Wear great shoes, but they should be conservative in styling. If you laces are always coming undone, wear slip ons. the WHOLE shoe should be polished, not just the toes! shoes should always be darker than the suit. 3. A white shirt. The collar MUST fit (you should just be able to place two fingers between the collar and the neck. 4. A decent tie. and you MUST make the right knot - not scraggly and not huge. the tip of your tip should just touch your belt buckle. 5. If your suit has belt loops you MUST wear a belt- at least as dark as the suit. NEVER wear a belt and braces at the same time, you’ll land up looking odd. 6. wear a nice watch, but make it conservative. nothing with too much gold and definitely no diamonds. think stainless steel breitling, rolex, IWC ect but it doesnt have to be a brand. do NOT wear a fake. I caught someone out like this once. if u can’t afford a suitable watch, dont wear one at all. 7. wear black socks. wearing white socks with a dark suit is horrible. 8. personal hygene - nails short, hair neat, teeth brushed.

obviously raised by wolves

LOL mcthorp

When i choose my professionals, i care more about the work they provide than a perfectly dressed staff. So do most shops. Look good, provide perfect work. Don’t look perfect and provide mediocre work. this thread is, well to pretend i’m 5 years old, stooopid.

yea, and for what it’s worth, nobody wears slip-ons in a conservative business setting unless you want to get pwn3d by your managing director

“7. wear black socks. wearing white socks with a dark suit is horrible.” I’ve been going sans socks of late…is this a no no?

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > yea, and for what it’s worth, nobody wears > slip-ons in a conservative business setting unless > you want to get pwn3d by your managing director The positives of being on the fixed income side: sitting on a trading floor means loafers are just fine. Got your e-mail too. Replying right now.

mowgli, oh you must be a working stiff who still works for a boss! I only get dressed up for weddings and funerals. Last time I wore a suit & tie for a business meeting was for a roadshow for an IPO I did in early 2000 - thought it would impress a big telco potential investor - turned out I was the only person in the room with a tie. That was the end of suit & ties for me! Bottom line = if you want to work for someone else all your life - sure do the suit and tie thing and follow all the stupid rules. But if you want to do yor own deals and make your own money - be different -stand out. Under-promise and over-deliver - who the f*** cares what you wear?

“Bottom line = if you want to work for someone else all your life - sure do the suit and tie thing and follow all the stupid rules.” What if you really like suits, but already own a large part of the business? Should I throw my suits out?

well, the whole point was that this was a guideline for newbies who are looking for a job or interviewing - it would be great if we could all pitch up in out pyjamas, but sometimes you gotta be realistic. as more, i am a casual dresser, but if i go to see a client, i do put on a suit. i just think that show a bit of respect.

You know what else i appreciate in my professionals? Proper use of the english language. No matter how well they present, if they can’t articulate their thoughts properly it’s likely I’ll choose someone else.

One point no one told me that I would like to share. Avoid discount boxers at all costs. I thought I was saving some coin that way, but they just flat out suck. The cloth between the leg holes are cut wrong. When you sit down, the middle of the boxers separate your two boys in a way that no man should feel. Bottom line, buy quality boxers.

Striker- Not for nothing but shouldn’t “english” in your response be capitalized?

most likely - i was wondering how long until someone tried to point out the irony in my post. There’s always one in the crowd.

“Most” should be capitalized too strikershank, jk. Null&nuller, most of us would prefer to wear casual clothing, but I also assume most of us are employees and are bound by a code.

You guys must all work for shit truck companies. Because I can tell you the norm in all investment banks, is suite and tie, equity owners too. I agree totally with mowgly

If you’re not looking like Rich Uncle Pennybags there’s no sense even going in to work. Anyone know where I could find a quality monocle dealer btw?

maddane Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You guys must all work for shit truck companies. > Because I can tell you the norm in all investment > banks, is suite and tie, equity owners too. > > I agree totally with mowgly Is that the case for part time research shops too?

AbbeFaria Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If you’re not looking like Rich Uncle Pennybags > there’s no sense even going in to work. Anyone > know where I could find a quality monocle dealer > btw? I’ll trade you my old monocle for a top-hat and cane. Nothing says BSD like the Mr. Peanut look.