Looking to relocate to CA

It’s probably comparable, but there are probably some cost of living indexes that represent it fairly.

Go here:

https://paycheckcity.com/calculator/salary/

you can play around with it and see what you would need to make to equal your current pay in Boston.

brah I just relocated to NYC earlier this year and everything is somewhat comparable in my view other than the exorbitant surcharge to booze in NYC offset by the fact that I don’t maintain a car fleet to address the travel needs of every family member including the dog. so it nets to even I think. Is boston some sort of tax-heaven?

where do you drink broseph?

for the most part daily at home on the couch, broski

Drinking different stuff in NY than in CA, bromosapien?

nah brosaurus, the same quality $hit as always but there is just a massive surcharge on booze in NYC - fact. Definitely not the same price point as my neighborhood TJs or Bevmo! in Cali. Those liquor stores are passing the hefty manhattan cost of carry to the customer

I never considered boston tax friendly but it is compared to CA/NYC. Sales tax, income, housing, all comparably less.

I thought you were in institutional sales for some reason.

That 6am to 3pm shift sounds hellish.

bro its not. there is no traffic in both! i used to drive roughly 2.5 hrs per day. now its only 1 hr per day. and you can leave earlier so technically you can leave right after lunch! market closes at 1. add 30 min adn you home by 2. i usually take nap after a run! or right as soon i get home if im going to ball. i essentially have 2 days! 1 for work and 1 for play!

a) no after work drinks

b) how would I make it in for 6am after a night out?

People in California don’t go out at night. So Nery’s lifestyle is even more confusing.

when i had a 9 to 5 job, i used to do happy hours on fridays only. but now i work with a bunch of older people who are not lit. but i got a core group of friends, i play ball, video games, or chill with. i only turn up on weekends. im usually out until around 4 am.

my m-th is a bit different when i get home from work around 2. i either eat nap then play ball. or run eat nap chores. weekdays, i just go run or beach or ball. then get home at the latest 8pm. i usually sleep around midnight. today for instance, i slept at 1 am cuz i was bingeing vikings. the day/afternoon time is for working out doing physical activines going to the beach. f to s, the night time is for turning up the club or going on dates.

what after work drinks, brah? PE firms are in Santa Monica and beach cities, ibanks and M&A lawyers in Century City, wealth managers in Beverly Hills, some other law firms, litigators and commercial banks in Downtown LA. It’s hard to mix for networking and even if you go with coworkers near work, you gotta drive home after. LA funance doesn’t do happy hour.

The hedge fund guys I knew on the West coast told me it was a great place to work once you were married with kids. Apparently being single sucks given the hours you work prohibit normal dating times, but it also allows you to go to your kids baseball games and stuff. Also the fact you don’t have traffic is a plus. An interesting perspective

Grew up in Cali, some thoughts for you.

Culture is much different. Your typical banking jobs are not as common as in NYC obviously. I left California to find a better job with singificant opportunities. There are some PE/ib shops in the bay but focused on tech start ups, some in socal but not as many as the bay area. Lacks traditional mid-office roles, pay is generally lower even though cost of living / taxes are high. Hours will be lower given the more laid-back culture of California and the distance from NYC high-octane-world.

If your firm is NYC based, be prepared for that “satellite” office feel. Employed but not as relevant as those close to the mother ship but there are perks with that (lower hours, less stress, can unplug easier). Less opportunity at a smaller regional office but some perks with that.

Commuting is a bitch and you will need to buy a car for yourself and your wife. You will beg to ride the 4/5 at 8:15 again after doing a year in LA traffic.

Goodluck.