"LOOKS" easy CFA Level 3 - need to shake my brain

Dude you have to have those qualifications to flaunt them…

Pardon me, sir. As already has been pointed out, you have managed to give the worst advice I’ve ever seen regarding the exam. 90% on L3 PM? Are you kidding me right now? Maybe if you weren’t such an ass about it almost immediately we could have a rational discussion on your strategy vs. others out there. The guy you challenged didn’t even respond to you yet you felt the need to tear him apart because his status isn’t updated on a message board? Not everyone cares about alphabet soup. Doesn’t seem like you’re doing much with all those fancy qualifications as I’ve seen you running around here for the past week+ telling everyone about this god awful strategy in a myriad of topics.

By now someone who completed all three exams should be familiar with the concept that what works for one does not necessarily work for another. Congrats on your pass but when a large contingent of people are telling you that your method is flawed, it’s time to learn the value of feedback.

Dude get a life…Am i the one running around here----or you have decided that you won’t do anything in life except commenting in analyst forum…i almost visited this site after 1 year as was busy in my work…look at my AF points barely 100 in 5 years and you have already passed 1200 and still L3 candidate-----were you even studying?? or just showing people on analystforum about that by commenting so much…

and well regarding my strategy I nailed L3 in one go…so don’t doubt it…and let the result come you will realize…if you don’t score high in PM… you will never pass…anybody scoring below 75% in PM automatically comes in the danger zone of not passing…I have always maintained 90% be your target…if you got sense you know that targeting 90% doesn’t mean getting it…but if you target 90 so you might get 80 which is reasonable…and will put you out of danger…everyone knows how subjective is marking in AM session…

I know my strategy won’t work for many but for God sake it is for those who feel that they can’t nail AM and hence can’t pass…doing good in AM is never easy for people who haven’t got much work experience…as pointed by someone in another thread if you are a wealth manager or have substantial experience you might have to study just 1 month to pass this exam…but point is that majority of AFers here do not have that so…otherwise why they would have been taking this exam…its for career growth right??

if you are good nail AM and pass…nobody is challenging that…as i already told most of you will be surprised with your AM results no matter how good you have done…then you might find my advice good. Let sanity prevail.

Repetition. Like all the exams…write as many essays and do as many item sets as you can. Eventually, it will start to stick by itself. Also, try to remember and create questions for yourself while walking, on the train, driving. Asking yourself a question and answering it is more valuable than just taking a question and answering it. The former helps you remember better,

Why are you proud of barely posting? Also, why haven’t you updated your status to charterholder? Missing the work experience? Personally, I think your advice is terrible…and I’m a charterholder…maybe that makes my opinion more valuable than yours. Stop fighting people. Thanks.

UMADBRO?

Way to go OP…now you’ve got everyone fighting about the best strategy for L3!! That should tell you something.

FWIW, the only reason I’m moderately confident going in to results is the fact I feel I made ~90% on the PM. Additionally, I’ve seen a lot of AM bombs pass; I’ve seen very little PM bombs pass. Add to that the fact PM is generally considered easier; you do receive partial credit for AM questions; while PM is all-or-nothing, and I can see the rationale for apportioning more time to PM-like questions. Converting 3 more PM questions is similar to an AM question…and a point is a point is a point, or that’s what I’ve been led to believe (more on that later).

The rationale for doubling down on AM is also sound. If you don’t know one large 20-point question you are really behind the proverbial 8-ball. Additionally, the fact it is harder is another reason for apportioning time to this section. The truth for both sides is unless you have done extensive statistical analysis or are a part of the committee that sets the MPS, it doesn’t matter if you have sat for L3 and awaiting results, passed the test and are awaiting work experience, or are a CFA charterholder, you simply don’t know for sure and to act like you do is a fallacy. We’re all tense here, but let’s deescalate arguments about things we’re all unsure about.

Eight more days…

@CFAFRMMBA: Dude its really great that you have earned so many respected designations. Having CFA, FRM and MBA is definitely not a joke. But I would request you to please remain humble and down to earth. The first thing that matters is what kind of person you are and how you treat others after achieving so much. Be nice and people will appreciate you for everything. Please don’t feel offended. I still respect all your achievements. :slight_smile:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not denying that you need a strong PM to pass (in most cases at least). By that logic, appropriating more time to PM style questions would seem to make sense however… everyone taking the L3 exam should know how to answer vignette style questions by this point. It’s multiple choice. If you can synthesize the knowledge and spit it back in an AM style question, then by default you should have no problem answering it in PM because it’s already on the paper for you to select it.

By studying AM you’re studying PM. The reverse is not true.

Personally I can’t imagine the stress levels of knowing I had to get a 90 on the PM to feel good about my chances. That’s six questions wrong. You could get that in Ethics alone if you get two tricky or ambiguous item sets.

I can dig the “spillover” argument. Where if you know how to answer a question in the AM, you also know how to answer a PM question. What I will say is I spent a little more time on multiple-choice Qs during my study than it *appeared* others did and it seemed to work out for me. I’d also say your comment “The reverse is not true” is not true in all cases. Without going into detail, there were a few PM Qs that were similar to AM. The knowledge, then, is transferrable, it’s just the way you present that’s different.

If I fail, I now expect you to laugh your behind off at me. More broadly, though, my point was everybody assumed there is one way to Shangri-La, when in fact I’d say there are multiple paths there.

I would never laugh at anyone for failing, I think only Angry Alphabet Soup guy would choose that course of action. Trust me, I already covered the “many paths” earlier in my response to him. What works for one will not necessarily work for another has been my largest take away when giving/taking advice in preparing for these exams.

Recall his earlier advice was “focus on PM”… that’s really the only thing I disagreed with. You’re right, knowledge is transferrable across both sessions but the important part is the last bit you wrote. The way you present it is a huge hurdle for a lot of candidates. I found myself getting a lot of zero or partial credit in past AM papers because I just couldn’t hit a few of the necessary trigger words whereas if I was asked that same question in a multiple choice format I’d feel way more confident knowing I just had to select the answer… not explain it back to a grader.

This is what I mean by a rational discussion. You know, without trying to belittle and name call other people because they haven’t passed yet or updated a stupid status on their candidacy.

Yep. I always prescribed to the “we can disagree without being disagreeable” line of thought. Good luck.

His post mentions “two 4 minute questions,” do they tell you a suggested time allotment for each question on the actual exam? Or do they tell you how many points for each question, and he just calculated the time allotment based on the point weighting?

Although I recommend you watch it all, the answer to your question starts 5 minutes in and continues until 8:30. http://youtu.be/eSHIjxAINqI