lying

I know someone who is lying about his CFA charter on his profile on Naymz. He failed L3 twice and didn’t sit for it this year. In his words “it’s okay to lie on a public professional network as long as I am not lying to a client”. I don’t think he is right but not sure how much control CFAI has to prevent something like this from happening and penalize the wrongdoer. When shyte hits the fan, this wrongdoer can say “it wasn’t me who posted my profile. Someone is out to get me” and CFAI will have no way to prove otherwise. What does the Ethics material say for the situation like this?

Lying = Bad

Pretty sure I.C. violation.

It’s obviously a violation… However, it doesn’t cause significant harm and it’s non-punishable. Only an idiot believes everything he reads on the internet.

THe real question is…do you have a duty to report him/her to CFAI?

jsjrcomcast Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > THe real question is…do you have a duty to > report him/her to CFAI? I don’t think there was any ‘requirement’ to report any violations.

jsjrcomcast Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > THe real question is…do you have a duty to > report him/her to CFAI? That’s a good question. I believe the answer is “no” but not sure. I wish he had never told me this

specifically says that there is no duty - i thought they might test that also, i don’t know what naymz is, but if it’s just another networking site, he will eventually get screwed. Compliance officers at shops check out all the CFA stuff - can’t write name, CFA on a note, business card, etc without your compliance officer confirming.