M.A. in Accounting?

Yo, kevin, really quick question. What is the pay range for the associates, senior associates, and managers in Deloitte’s valuation/real estate valuation group? Or what type of guess do you have? Thanks, man. Good name, btw.

i don’t understand how they can say “i want MBAs”. I mean, is it the knowledge that they want or is it letters they’re after. if it is the letters, then that is just plain wack.

Kevin, I bet that with L1 behind you and the masters, you would have a chance of finding opportunites in valuation work for the big 4, and smaller regional and local firms. A lot of folks in valuation are CPA/ABVs, but it seems that now they are seeking people with the CFA/MBA background more and more. With your background, if you can get by L11, I would bet anything that you could get into valuation/transaction advisory at a big 4.

GoVols, I’ve noticed that the Big 4 valuation practices (specifically the real estate ones) are requesting the MAI designation, too.

All, thanks for the comments. I will probably get back with some of my Deloitte friends and see what is there. I could have hung around to try and transfer to FAS or something else, but doing it internal can often times be more difficult than if now I go back with additional relavent experience (and at least one part CFA). I think as to the pay I know my friend transfered from Audit to some type of Real Estate group within FAS (I think it is a valuation group for commercial real estate) and I dont think the pay is that much different than Audit. So maybe at a 3rd year level he might be making $70K (in Dallas)? I wouldnt think more than that, just based on where he was coming from and I had heard that Audit, Tax, and FAS were all relatively close within the same experience. If the raises are similar to Audit you would expect about a 10% bump most years and as you move up you start to be eligible for profit sharing and more bonus. So later levels it is harder for me to say exactly. As to people that say that want MBA’s…I agree it is a bit silly, but I also understand if that is how they want to filter. I do appreciate the comments all. I may not take level II until 2009, as I am doing it more for me and just to make sure down the road I have many opportunities open to me. Plus, with my outside work going on I always have to balance that with studying. And with tutoring professionals and MBA students, it is a great way to make contacts.

I can verify that at Deloitte Canada the pay is the same in FAS as in Audit. tax partners make the most, if you want some useless information lol.

kkent, For real estate, you are probably correct. My post was a comment solely on business valuation, not real estate, personal property, etc. I have come across some real estate appraisers through business valuation work, and I think the MAI is beneficial for them. But as for business valuation, I have never ran across anybody with the MAI. BTW - I am glad you are still posting on the forum.

sternwolf Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Stats aside, CFA+CA (CPA) is supposed to be a good > combination in any event. i work next door to a girl who has the CFA + CA combo…she’s done very well for herself with that. ca-cbv-cfa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > delero Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > One thing though, CA’s whether in Canada or the > UK > > have more prestige than CPA’s in the US. > > As for finance, CA also has a formal > agreement with CBV which makes it a lot easier for > CA’s to get into valuation and make the segway > from accounting to finance related roles. the amount of CAs here (calgary) in finance roles is very high. everything from banking to research to PE.

I’m going to take one part of the CPA probably the last quarter of this year. I’m aiming for the CFA/CPA combo. In another year or two, I’ll probably have level2 CAIA and FRM or PRM done along with the whole CFA. Then CMT to learn technical analysis. After that, I hope to do well enough to not have to resort to MBA or any other pieces of paper. I really hope that I’ll never have to do the MBA.

stern, i have a question, why don’t you just try to get a good job since you’re already at Stern and still in your undergrad. you can get a killer job and get real experience that will trump those designations. those designations are not necessary if you can put down “investment banking analyst” on your resume. dont’ make the mistake to think getting credentials will help you. Your skills will speak for themselves, designations is only paper proof. Taking the CFa and the other courses is great, but I’ll sacrifice FRM CAIA for good work experience anyday. ANYDAY.

No, I’m not pursuing these designations at the expense of other things. I do see that they are useful, though.

stern, is there a lot of ibanking recruitments at Stern? have you been applying heavily?