Macquarie Final Round

I know the feeling, it lasts 2-3 days then you’re off to something else (perharps better). I respect the Macquarie firm and what it does, actually all of the people I met there were nice and all, except for the last interview round. Oh well, live and learn

Yar it stings mate, I know the feeling about Macquarie. You will get over it though, trust me!! If they are going to select staff based entirely on those merits you do not want to work for them!

Had an interview with Macq bank and it was (i thought) one of my worst ever… there were two guys interviewing me and they were complete d**ks… really condescending, and talking down my academic achievements (which were alot better than theirs…i know because i asked them)… we got to a point in the interview where we talked about tenure/employee turnover, and he said “if you cant give me one good reason why you will still be working here after a couple years (as opposed to finding a better position within the bank) this interview is as good as over”… i’d had about enough and just wanted to walk out… i didnt get the job, but funnily enough, my agent told me they were impressed and that it was a good interview… weird…

Thanks guys. At least there seems to be a consensus, so I am not the only one. Honestly, I found out last night and I am over it already. I wanted the offer, but I am developing a thick skin from the rejections.

Good to hear mate! I’ve been rejected from a lot of positions due to my marks, ie ~75% average apparently is not good enough for these roles, but i can assure you the people they hire have 0 people skills and will just number crunch for them. Organisations like Macq bank expect high turnover of staff, especially for grad positions due to scouting/burning them out, thus they will take the cream of the crop for a few years and let them leave rather than building a model employee for 10+ years. It seems that grad positions while are prestigious in obtaining, somewhat become redundant as the employers often see them as expendable assets. But hey, that is just me and quite possibly my bitterness towards to the organisation. (I’m soo glad their share price finely took a beating :smiley: :smiley: :D)

I would suggest you should look on the positive side of things, I looked at it like this when I got denied. 1. I don’t care they are A-holes. 2. If i got it I’d be working from 6:30am to 10pm and weekends-FLAG. 3. Pay is good, but not worth the free time I lose out on. 4. I wouldn’t learn anything concrete as a grad there (i.e. I wouldn’t be surrounded by the top executives and see how the real side of the business is done like you do in a small firm) I would learn some gay process they have and work on it endlessly. I suppose they spared you your best couple of years by not giving you the job, as maybe you wouldn’t suit an environment full of egos, arrogance, backstabbing etc. Couple of my friends and me worked in some top investment banks as interns and to tell you the truth it’s not all that it seems to be. Yes Deutche Bank has a personal butler, ABN Amro will shoot you off to Monaco for their Xmas party and you might impress some girls. In the end you work 70-80 hours a week and you earn 80k. If I were you hunt around for small firms, they will pay you the best, teach you the most and make you work hard in such a way that it is useful for you. Look at their team profiles on the websites, look for what they’re like, google them etc. Just keep looking and you’ll be fine! Good luck and don’t stress

camsincles Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Good to hear mate! > > I’ve been rejected from a lot of positions due to > my marks, ie ~75% average apparently is not good > enough for these roles, but i can assure you the > people they hire have 0 people skills and will > just number crunch for them. Organisations like > Macq bank expect high turnover of staff, > especially for grad positions due to > scouting/burning them out, thus they will take the > cream of the crop for a few years and let them > leave rather than building a model employee for > 10+ years. It seems that grad positions while are > prestigious in obtaining, somewhat become > redundant as the employers often see them as > expendable assets. > > But hey, that is just me and quite possibly my > bitterness towards to the organisation. (I’m soo > glad their share price finely took a beating :smiley: :smiley: > :D) haa. you have clearly no idea what you are talking about. staff turnover is relatively low relative to the other ibanks and they don’t kick their analysts out after 2-3 years.

enzoin10 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I would suggest you should look on the positive > side of things, I looked at it like this when I > got denied. > > 1. I don’t care they are A-holes. > 2. If i got it I’d be working from 6:30am to 10pm > and weekends-FLAG. > 3. Pay is good, but not worth the free time I lose > out on. > 4. I wouldn’t learn anything concrete as a grad > there (i.e. I wouldn’t be surrounded by the top > executives and see how the real side of the > business is done like you do in a small firm) I > would learn some gay process they have and work on > it endlessly. > > > I suppose they spared you your best couple of > years by not giving you the job, as maybe you > wouldn’t suit an environment full of egos, > arrogance, backstabbing etc. Couple of my friends > and me worked in some top investment banks as > interns and to tell you the truth it’s not all > that it seems to be. Yes Deutche Bank has a > personal butler, ABN Amro will shoot you off to > Monaco for their Xmas party and you might impress > some girls. In the end you work 70-80 hours a week > and you earn 80k. If I were you hunt around for > small firms, they will pay you the best, teach you > the most and make you work hard in such a way that > it is useful for you. Look at their team profiles > on the websites, look for what they’re like, > google them etc. > > Just keep looking and you’ll be fine! > > Good luck and don’t stress true. it’s always good to look at the positives in any situation - this attitude will get you far out in life. but in the end, if ABN, Deutsche or GS offered you an investment banking analyst position, you would take it…