Mad Men April 10

I think you guys are right about Joan being “touched” inappropriately…

I just saw the episode from Sunday and Joan was saying her husband was a bad man and how he was never good and “you know what i’m talking about”…

He raped her once a long time ago.

yeah, that is what i’m thinking…surprise she still married him…i don’t think i saw the episode…but i’m rewatching the show…its actuallly A LOT better than i initially thought…i saw how that young guy raped the secretary…

i want to beat da crap outta him that young cocky 27 y/o rich kid…

Which young guy raped which secretary? I don’t remember that part.

pete campbell raped/took advantage of peggy olson…i really didn’t like seeing him do that…made me so mad…

That was consensual - she invited him into the apartment. In a way, Peggy was using that as an opportunity to sleep around, because she thought that she would need to do that to advance in her job. Remember how she gets birth control pills early in the show? She was planning to hook up with office guys. She also comes onto Don on the first day at work, but he tells her it’s inappropriate.

oh snap…i missed that…i really got to buckle down and watch this…

Peggy wanted it. Not Rape.

The show, is pretty much all style and no substance. I’ve been sick of it for two seasons. Although, this season has been entertaining.

its rather slow…but its still heads and shoulders above most of the crap out there i have seen

please name the shows you recommend…

Big Bang Theory!

Style is very important to a show like Mad Men. The point is to create an illusion of the 1960s, aesthetically and through social themes. The show would not work without the stylistic elements - props, hairstyles, accents, clothes, etc.

I do think that the show tends to rely on stereotype characters to illustrate social themes. For instance, Joan is the hot secretary, Peggy is the feminist, Roger is the rich irresponsible playboy, Pete is the ruthless capitalist, and so forth. However, this does not mean that the show is not substantive. The roles are generally performed well and tie in with the plot. That is, all the character roles serve a purpose in the main story, even if the presentation can be blatant at times.

But anyway, the best show in recent memory is Game of Thrones. Once you see Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister, every other actor on TV will look like they are in a high school play.

i think the show is well thought out…

I think that is the criticism of some people. The elements are sometimes extremely blatant; the planning is very obvious. For instance, when the show writers wanted to show “the struggle of women to break into men’s profession”, instead of using subtle plot details, they include a scene where Peggy is in a bar and states explicitly “it’s hard for women to break into men’s professions” (not a direct quote). As a result, the show sometimes seems contrived or cliched.

I’m not saying that the show is not good overall. It’s just not perfect (like any show).

Two threads in a row you’ve beaten me to it. Came here to say the exact same thing.

i’m giong to check out big bang theory and game of thrones…

I think Game of Thrones is good, but I don’t have this intense attachment to it that a lot of others have. I don’t have any real complaint about any aspect of the show, it just doesn’t grab me as much as others. For instance, I like the bad episodes of Nikita and Fringe more than I like mediocre episodes of Game of Thrones. And Sherlock is probably the best show on TV, but you have to wait like 18 months between 3 episode seasons.

Edit: Big Bang Theory is garbage. Watch Community, 30 rock, and Always Sunny.

Read the books. I don’t know how people that haven’t can follow the show. The books are fantastic anyway, but they really allow you to appreciate the show.

I second your sitcom sentiment. Throw Modern Family in there as well. Good stuff.

Shit I love this show. That and I want to go back and live in their pre internet age. Spoilers below!

Am I the only one that wanted Pete to hook up with the high school chick? That being said, I realize that they put her in there to show his conflicted feelings toward his marriage and lead into the brothel/situation with Don.

i hate Pete Campbell…i wish that guy broke his arm and legs too…he deserved a way more severe beating…

i’m glad that guy took a shot at Joan though…like a HCB, she gave him the rejection in a classy way…