Making lots of money. Your Advice?!?

willchan11 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > XSellSide Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Start your own business or buy a business. I > think > > it’s the only way to truly create great wealth. > > Most of my firm’s top clients built their > wealth > > through a business and the richest people I > know > > are all entrepreneurs. > > > Agreed. If you’re not creative enough to build a > business, buy one where you can see yourself > enjoying the work. Otherwise, get a job and move > up by working harder than the next guy. > > Open your hedge fund…like another person said > - Why don’t you work at a HF and see how it > operates etc prior to opening a hedge fund. Dont you need a lot of capital to buy a business (assuming its profitable + successful)?

A lot of capital isn’t always needed. Depends on your definition of “a lot”.

The rich do what most people are not willing to do. In Finance though more conservative, one must roll up his/her sleeves and out work the next guy to make more money. In entrepreneurship, you have to roll up your sleeves and take on more risks. It’s really an individual choice of how much you can stomach.

If you’re looking at $500k/year Finance is the way to go. If you’re looking at $150k/year, you should have become a Dentist If you’re looking at $1mill/year, I’d open my own business.

Dentist is the worst “medical” job. Most people that visit dentists have nasty teeth and gums. You’re working in people’s mouths all day… Optometrist is the best “medical” job… sell glasses at LensCrafter is a chill job. Owning your own business is the way to go…

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Why does everyone want to be in hedge funds? Most > hedge funds are understaffed places where people > have to work too hard and take on excessive life > risk. I believe people want to be in Hedge Funds, IB and Private Equity primarily because they read stories of a few superstar MDs, analyst, PMs and traders and think they have a shot at being one of them. It’s basically a grown ups rendition of every boys pro athlete fantasy. They want to accomplish something extraordinary without understanding the level of passion, commitment and natural talent it will take to acheive it.

Ok, so if I’m going to work at a Hedge Fund for several years and then start my own firm, how do I get a job at a hedge fund from here? What opportunities are there for a person in my position? What should be my 3-5 year plan?

finseeker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Ok, so if I’m going to work at a Hedge Fund for > several years and then start my own firm, how do I > get a job at a hedge fund from here? > > What opportunities are there for a person in my > position? What should be my 3-5 year plan? Pound the pavement!

With your consulting background the most logical fit for you in finance is in private equity. If you are unable to find a fit, or spot there, I would consider going the top 10 MBA–>IB/IM–>HF route if your ultimate goal is a hedge fund. The main problem is you don’t have much relevant experience that a lot of buy-side shops are looking for, except private equity of course, although you presumably have the intellectual capacity.

I still say import opium from Afghanistan. We’re talking a return of 266,566.67% per kilo!. No HF or IB can dream of making that much let alone beat it. And I’m sure you’ll get wholesale prices if you buy in bulk which will give you even bigger profits. All you need is a mode of transport… and probably a gun.

Find a US postal worker, preferably in NYC, who has access to a postal truck. Purchase or collect as many soda cans as possible which have $0.05 recyclable. Fill the truck up with the NY recyclables and return them in Michigan where you’ll receive $0.10 per can.

kant Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I still say import opium from Afghanistan. We’re > talking a return of 266,566.67% per kilo!. No HF > or IB can dream of making that much let alone beat > it. > > And I’m sure you’ll get wholesale prices if you > buy in bulk which will give you even bigger > profits. > > All you need is a mode of transport… and > probably a gun. The return is likely decreased based on your overhead costs though. I would imagine custom agents, police, and other government officials command a high price to let things slide. Although that may be where the gun comes in handy.

After that, you may need to find a good location to begin selling. I think that most cities have pretty large networks of gangs and drug dealers that allready have their own turf - but you could try to get in on the action by undercutting their prices, but odds are you won’t stay alive more than a day or two. Not to mention, you’ll need numbers to sell you stuff - obviously you don’t want to get caught with it yourself. Again, this is where a gun…or many guns…could come in handy. Goodluck.

You wouldn’t do the actual selling yourself. That’s not thinking big. You’ll be a wholesaler to entities already well-established in the drug trade. If Escobar Jr. is selling cocaine, why wouldn’t he want to diversify and sell heroin as well? He’ll not only lower his risks by diversifying he’ll increase returns. He won’t have to create any new channels of distribution, he already has it all in place.

u can join the NBA or be a rapper

You make a valid point however, one thing that “finseeker” might want to think about is obtaining enough capital to begin with in order to have enough cash money to pay of the gov. haunchos, transport to and from Afganistan, and somehow purchase enough drugs to act as wholesale distributor - not to mention the importance of a “few” firearms. I recommend that he take his entire life savings, head to Atlantic City, and throw it on black at the roulette table.

ancientmtk Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > u can join the NBA or be a rapper NBA…I don’t know about that. You might need some natural talent…and hopefully be over 6 feet tall. However rappeing is always a good idea. I hear that soulja boy might be making a new CD…speaking of talent…

Gouman Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > JoeyDVivre Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Why does everyone want to be in hedge funds? > Most > > hedge funds are understaffed places where > people > > have to work too hard and take on excessive > life > > risk. > > I believe people want to be in Hedge Funds, IB and > Private Equity primarily because they read stories > of a few superstar MDs, analyst, PMs and traders > and think they have a shot at being one of them. > > It’s basically a grown ups rendition of every boys > pro athlete fantasy. They want to accomplish > something extraordinary without understanding the > level of passion, commitment and natural talent it > will take to acheive it. As opposed to Entreuprenuership where EVERYONE is successful… This has to be one of the more painful threads on here in months… I’m surprised no one has suggested winning the lottery or marrying a rich dude…

ahahah Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Gouman Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > JoeyDVivre Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > Why does everyone want to be in hedge funds? > > Most > > > hedge funds are understaffed places where > > people > > > have to work too hard and take on excessive > > life > > > risk. > > > > I believe people want to be in Hedge Funds, IB > and > > Private Equity primarily because they read > stories > > of a few superstar MDs, analyst, PMs and > traders > > and think they have a shot at being one of them. > > > > > It’s basically a grown ups rendition of every > boys > > pro athlete fantasy. They want to accomplish > > something extraordinary without understanding > the > > level of passion, commitment and natural talent > it > > will take to acheive it. > > > As opposed to Entreuprenuership where EVERYONE is > successful… > > This has to be one of the more painful threads on > here in months… I’m surprised no one has > suggested winning the lottery or marrying a rich > dude… would you marry a rich dude if you are a dude already/

Depends on how rich and if I was pitching or catching.