Making money off current situation

Any ideas for making money off our current messy situation? Both in-the-box as well as out-of-the-box please.

So, uh, let’s hear some ideas from you.

Here are some ideas from the new Buffet bio for you: paper route selling golf balls I would add that stuffing envelopes works too.

aval Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Any ideas for making money off our current messy > situation? > > Both in-the-box as well as out-of-the-box please. Go long on canned goods.

Joey, Here are my ideas - very in-the-box, and not short-term at all: 1. Go long on alternative energy (stocks or stake, if you can). Don’t know if an ETF exists. Alternative Energy is likely to receive a big boost if Obama wins. Also, there is so much VC activity in the solar/wind areas in Silicon Valley and elsewhere. We will see IPOs in 2-3 years in these areas. This sector is probably down right now because of the fears around the financial sector/economy. 2. Buy options on India/China (either in their financial markets or real assets). Of all the emerging markets, these 2 countries have the most diversified economies. Growth will continue here, and their markets are quite down right now.

I am planning to start taking long positions in a few select names, and write covered calls. Writing a 6 month option at about 33% above the market price would yield ~10% premium… this would help cover any further declines… I may regret this, but i have never made any money chasing stocks that were going up quickly

I’ve made some good returns on WMT since last year… I invested at the beginning of the credit crunch, and am currently up about ~25% Go long inferior goods.