March 2014 Mock AM - Periodic pension cost

Source: CFAI March 2014 mock; Case of Atlantic Reserves

There are 2 separate questions. One asks for “Periodic Pension Cost” and the other asks for “Total Periodic Pension Cost”.

A/c to the solution,

Periodic Pension Cost = Service cost + interest cost - expecteted return on plan assets

Total Periodic Pension Cost = same as above except they use actual return on plan assets

Is this an error? I used Schweser to study and I didn’t find this distinction in the book.

bump

Actually, Schweser use this distinction mate (granted - they do it in a subtle way before the distinctions between IFRS and US GAAP). It took me a while to realise, but it’s there and I just committed it to memory.

Oh!! That’s interesting. Will look it up now.

What they mean by “periodic pension cost” is the part to be recognized into IS; “total periodic pension cost” -the whole cost for the period. I prefer periodic pension cost (for what goes into both OCI and IS) and periodic pension expense (only in IS). Note that in older texts you can meet " economic pension expense" for the whole amount and only “pension expense” for the part that goes into IS.

Yep - and the expected return on plan assets goes into the Income Statement.

Makes perfect sense - thank you

Great explanation. Just one question. What’s with expected and actual return? Where to use expected and where to use actual return?

Only under US GAAP we use expected return. When calculating the amount for the IS, use expected return of plan assets (=% expected return * beginning FV of plan assets). When calculating total periodic pension cost or change in FV of plan assets, use actual return of plan assets.

Under IFRS, same % is used for interest cost and return on plan assets, i.e. for the IS we have

net interest expense = discount rate * (beginning PBO - beginning FV of plan assets)

Again when calculating total periodic pension cost use actual return on plan assets.

Periodic Pension Cost = Service cost + interest cost - expecteted return on plan assets

Total Periodic Pension Cost = same as above except they use actual return on plan assets

How to calculate interest cost under U.S GAAP? Is it (discount rate x Beg Pension Obligation)

Yes, it is.