March 2018 CAIA Level II prep - How is everyone feeling so far ?

With no exception I can fully agree with you! I also thought that I was super well prepared but the MCQ part surprised me. Some questions were reeeally deep in the material, on one of the questions I looked up there is only one singe sentence in the whole curriculum about it. I had also a bad feeling after Level I, but passed with very high marks too. Good luck to everyone

I can think of a few that were kinda oddball questions, per your above comment. I figured that was going to happen given my experience with LI. However, nothing you can really do except try to dig deep and remember those one-offs. I know for a fact there were at least two questions that Schweser did not cover in enough detail to allow you to get the correct answer CAIAA was looking for. But hey, what can you do? I felt the rest of the MCQs were fair as long as you’ve done the work. You’re never going to get 100% and will always feel like you dropped the ball on a few, but that’s why there’s such a variety of questions and topics to cover so that a few misses here and there won’t undermine your entire result. At least that’s what i’m telling myself…haha!

Just hopeful that I benefit from some offsetting strong results in certain areas to make up for a few whiffs elsewhere. Nature of the beast, but that’s just how it goes. Good luck to all!

Today was my day in the box

mult choice were all okay - felt good during stretches then less so during others. Many times could eliminate some choices.

Ethics seemed much easier than last exam Hope that wasn’t because I was exhausted I felt better on the other essay and about the same on the CIT as last time If my mult choice skills didn’t fail I think I passed

We shall see about May 1st I really don’t want to study during a World Cup

This my second exam after not passing in Sep 2017

I think i did well in MC But there was some questions asking about a specific number , i felt that was not fair.

The essays i think did good in ethics but i got weaker in it last time so hopefully it not happen again.

I hope they do not consider checking bad spelling because some of mines are bad

I hope they grade on partial points for essay part

I hope i am done of CAIA

keep your chin up, Aziz! no demerit points for poor spelling and/or grammatical errors. i believe you are awarded partial credit across essays given that certain questions ask for multiple items, not to mention that you could be absolutely correct with respect to your thought process, but biff a calculation. that’s how CFAI does it, at least. hence, why they require you to show your work. if you have correct formula and steps in place, but simply make a fat finger error, they can at least give you some credit.

I’ve been reminiscing about my performance and feel totally on the fence. i know i flat out missed sub-portions of essays, but hammered home some others. MCQs definitely had some wonky, nuanced items, but that’s CAIA for ya.

would be great to squeeze by, for sure…just keeping fingers crossed for the next 6 weeks!

Thank you Gove _ cheese

I think also that Kaplan does not cover some points regarding the 10 articles . I am 100% sure that one Q is not on kaplan but probably on the official paper.

I did poorly in essays last time and i can be sure that i did very well compare to my first attempt in sep 2017

God help us in waiting the result

Good luck all

Took mine yestersay and i have got to say, the MC part was easier than i expected. However, the essay questions were tougher and took a lot of thinking. Just hoping it has not brought my average down. Hate waiting for the result

wondering if that was intentional RE: easier MCQs and harder essays. I feel like CAIA mock was much more difficult than actual exam in terms of MCQs, yet the essays were layups…then, come exam day, feel like it was a total role reversal. Can’t be too mad about it though, given the weighting convention between the two sections. Even if you get marked a 50% on essays, only amounts to 15% of absolute score, so keep that in mind. If you can at least score 75% on MCQs, should counterbalance to a marginal pass IMO. Doesn’t need to be pretty…a pass is a pass!

Just gave mine today… I thought it went well…

I will take the slight positive feeling I hold… helps me enjoy the next 6 weeks… but will start worrying a week before the results…

Think the results will probably be on/around Apr 30th…

Nice Flash! Time to relax now. No point in stressing about it. I’m resigned to my fate and am OK with it either way. Definitely wish I had a few of those essay questions back, but feel relieved that it’s only 30% of total mark. I can confidently say i received at least half the points in the written section as a base case, which should still equate to a pass. Like i said, a win is a win, no matter how ugly!

Now go and enjoy your free time for the first time in 3 years! :slight_smile:

Thank you … you too govt_cheese !!! Weather is also starting to look better now, a bit at least, depending on where you are …

I think I scored over 80-85%+ in the MCQs… with an additional 18+ points in the second half… so, will not sweat it out…

We do deserve this break, don’t we?

No more of the C…A or F…M exams for me for now, for a long time after this :slight_smile:

Nearly 2 weeks since my exam, still heavily on my mind.

I felt comfortable in all the mocks averaging around 75%.

When it came to the real thing i felt half of the CR questions in the essay part were a bit left field.

The multi choice was ok I can think back on at least 4 i got wrong and then god knows how many i, ii, iii, iv questions i got incorrect. When answering those i felt a lot of my answers were the same combination (e.g. i, iii & iv or something like that)

I am hoping a 75 on the MC and 18 on the essay part will scrape a pass.

I wonder if the level 1 results being out early and the fact the pass rate has increased by 4% have any effect what so ever on level ii.

Hello everyone,

Wishing you all best of luck when your results come out. Now you have taken your L II, I appreciate your feedback on wether you felt if Kaplan Schweser suite was sufficient by itself? If you supplemented Schweser with UpperMark Qbank, did you feel more prepared and did better in the exam?

I am just wondering because my time is tight, as everybody else, specially with 2 young children and the third is on the way. I hope to pass L II in my first attempt, does not matter by little or much, and was wondering does it worth sacrifying the time to do an additional 1,000+ UpperMark Qbank.

Thanks for the advise and best of luck you all.

I only used the kaplan material and felt everything but two MC questions were familiar. However, for the constructive response topics, i felt Kaplan was not detailed enough but luckily i read through each of the 10 articles so i was able to right something.

I liked uppermark. used both… Schweser QBank and UpperMark QBank and Exams… UpperMark has about 400 short answers questions and about 35 constructive response type questions… which might help you prepare for some of the short answers. this is in addition to 1050 MCQs… I never used the Schweser Practice test in any of my level of CFA or CAIA (mostly because of lack of time) but I did use their QBank and it helps prepare with some base level questions… I thought Upper CAIA L1 questions was better than L2 because it seemed to cover up a problem for every formula in the schweser text. …

CAIA L2 Upper Mark had also a few extra formulas which was not covered in the Schweser text, but, I think a part of the official curriculum… e.g exponentially smoothed volatility, and multiply weight with Beta and std dev to calc weighted risk etc. and some others

That said… not everyone uses UpperMark and many pass… so it all depends on your time availability and how much effort you would like to put in…but depending on the specific exam you face it may or may not turn out to be worth it…

Hello all,

I wish you all the best for your results. I just cleared level 1 and planning to take level II in Sep. Could anyone please help me with any study materials (soft copies) that you have got, I would be very grateful. Also, could you please advise if I should go with Uppermark or Kaplan.

Best Regards,

Parinita

Hi all,

For those who used Schweser for Level II. Would you be willing to share your lecture videos printouts until Kaplan have their product available? I purchased their PremiumPlus package but none of the materials, including the e-books, will be available until end of April, and I would rather start early because I know I will have wasted time during the summer. Do not understand the reason for the delay! to the best of my knowledge, there was no changes to the Level II curriculum from March 2018!! If you willing to share, please PM me.

Thank you all and best of luck, hang tight!

How is everyone feeling now?

i don’t think I would have scored above 50% on the second half of the exam so really hoping I smashed the first part

i feel just fine. if i fail, the world keeps turning. if i pass, that’s cool too. all i care is that i’m done with any of these exams for a LONG while.